3D Printing Prusa MK4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up disabling the filament sensor and that print finished just fine. I think I may have moved the print head when clearing the filament path?

My MK4 had a few "stalls" today. Mid-print it stops for ~ 20 seconds. then continues like normal. It happened 5 times in one 6 hour print. This is printing off the stock usb drive. This is prusa slicer 2.7.1. MK4 firmware 5.1.0. This is a binary gcode file (.bgcode). The filename stops scrolling. The print time, remainging time, and end time stop cycling on display. Time just stops for about 20 seconds!

Someone on Reddit noted:

it was related to too many gcode commands in rapid order (think like tight hilbert curve infill)
where the machine was executing instructions faster than the SD card or serial port could pass them,
resulting in short stalls while things caught up.

Sounds very reasonable to me. So what would be some good options to fix these stalls?

- Get a better usb stick - ie usb 3.0
- print from prusa connect?
- attach usb to printer and print from my laptop/ or an octo pi?

Has happened twice now on larger prints. The first time, I aborted the print. I should have given it more time to finish.

My MK4 is still sitting in the box. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will get some free time to put it together.

It is easy to build, but read each step twice. I had to repeat a few.
Well, I started on it tonight since one of my MK3s decided to start peeing around the heat sink. I will build the MK4 and then order an upgrade kit for the one that needs some work. Figure if I need to pull it apart it would be a good time to do the upgrade to it.

Well, I started on it tonight since one of my MK3s decided to start peeing around the heat sink. I will build the MK4 and then order an upgrade kit for the one that needs some work. Figure if I need to pull it apart it would be a good time to do the upgrade to it.
A leak around the heat sink is a common issue:

1703758612993.png

Good news. I am a very experienced person with V6 extruders. It is a great design with a flaw.
Yes it is. I fixed it once before. I want to upgrade both of my mk3s so this just gives me a good reason to do this one now.

Good news. I am a very experienced person with V6 extruders. It is a great design with a flaw.
Got bored after class today and fixed it so now all 3 units are up and running. Still got a little playing to do with the mk4 but so far I am loving it.

After looking at the price difference between the upgrade kit and what a new mk4 kit cost, I think I am going to just get another mk4 kit. I will just put both of my mk3s in cabinets and just use them for ABS and Nylon printing.

After looking at the price difference between the upgrade kit and what a new mk4 kit cost, I think I am going to just get another mk4 kit. I will just put both of my mk3s in cabinets and just use them for ABS and Nylon printing.
That’s what I am doing. The only thing the upgrade saves you is time.

Back