ProPEP 3 not working anymore.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryRocket

Reaction score
Hello,

Thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions. I currently run ProPEP 3 on two devices, one laptop with Windows 10 and it works fine still. The other place in on my mac via parallels desktop and Windows 7 Pro. It's worked on my Mac with zero problems for several months. A week or two ago it just stopped working. I can click on the icon but it never opens. I'll post a picture of what I see. It just sits there and if I hover the mouse over the icon on the bottom, I get the below. I've removed the program and reinstalled probably 10 times, restarted, updated, etc but just can't seem to get it working again. It will go through the removal and install with zero problems, it simply won't open though.

Anyone having issues recently with Windows 7 on a virtual machine?

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 3.11.02 PM.png

I have had this problem so many times I've lost count. My simple solution is to copy out all my data and reinstall the program and it works.

Well I’ve removed and reinstalled about 10 times with no luck. Maybe it just needs 11...

If you end up giving up, the PEP spreadsheet should work well. If you need an example of it, look for Sunrise 13 in the research forum.

Gerald

If I ever get it that far again I’ll look for those settings. I go through the installer and it says it installs successfully but it won’t open. Just sits there.
Rick click on the program icon or name in the program dropdown list. Select properties. Make those changes. Click OK. Then try to run the program.
I had the same problem and that worked for me on Win 7.

John, I was convinced that was going to work, but to no avail. I did however get it to work somehow. I moved the entire ProPEP 3 folder from “Program Files (x86)” to “Program Files” under C: and now if I click on the “ProPEP VB.exe” in that folder it’ll open. The icon isn’t the same but its opening and even has my old formulas in there.

Odd. And I’m not sure why it’s working this way or why it quit working all the sudden. Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 5.22.14 PM.jpg

Well I’ve removed and reinstalled about 10 times with no luck. Maybe it just needs 11...
For removing did you just delete it or use the uninstaller? If you just deleted the file then the cached data will still be there. If you did it with the uninstaller then I'm not sure why that didn't work.
John, I was convinced that was going to work, but to no avail. I did however get it to work somehow. I moved the entire ProPEP 3 folder from “Program Files (x86)” to “Program Files” under C: and now if I click on the “ProPEP VB.exe” in that folder it’ll open. The icon isn’t the same but its opening and even has my old formulas in there.

Odd. And I’m not sure why it’s working this way or why it quit working all the sudden.
Now that is very strange. Honestly I don't even have an answer for that.

For removing did you just delete it or use the uninstaller? If you just deleted the file then the cached data will still be there. If you did it with the uninstaller then I'm not sure why that didn't work.

Now that is very strange. Honestly I don't even have an answer for that.

Well we are back to not working anymore. So frustrated. More so because I can't figure out how to make it work than simply not having the program available. I am running parallels with Win 10 now. I have ProPep running on my Macbook in the exact some configuration. I have deleted it/uninstalled it several different ways and reinstalled. Probably 20 times now with no luck. It is still doing what it was originally doing.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

So, I MAY have got it fixed again. I've deleted and reinstalled a few times, cycled the machine a few times and it appears to be working but I'm not real sure why. Here is what I did:

At this screen during installation, if I left it as the default folder it would install but not load the program.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.30.20 AM.png

I just added the "a" after ProPEP 3 for the folder.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.30.43 AM.png

Now in C: drive in the Program File (x86) I see this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.35.46 AM.png

So, a little frustration driven, blind luck has it working. Maybe this will save someone some time if they have a similar problem.

YEA!

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.31.01 AM.png

Honestly it just seems so finicky. I partially want to try and update it but at the same time I'm not even sure what language it is written in and if I could understand it because it is so old.

One I developed was JeffPep orginially to answer a question for Jeff Taylor at the time (10-15 years ago maybe) https://propulsionlabs.com.au/Software.htm
Troy's work with Excel is superlative! For those who haven't visited his site, GRAINS is a beautiful motor modeling Excel workbook. Lots of different grain configurations, option of different-sized Bates grains, written for Excel so the learning curve is nil, and best of all... it's FREE! Thanks a zillion, Troy!

Best -- Terry

@BryRocket
Thanks for documenting. I had this exact same thing happen to me. reinstalling with the a at the end of the install directory worked for me too.
Thanks again,
Dave

Back