Propelant composition help!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboRT

Reaction score
Does anyone know were i can purchase Polybutadiene? I made propelant using salt petre and sugar. This mixture cannot even lift its own wieght! I am going to try ammonium nitrate and Polybutadiene. Does anyone know any other compositions to try? Thanks.

Hello TurboRT,

We are glad to have you join us here, but I don't think you will find much discussion regarding this facet of sport/experimental rocketry. It is just plain too dangerous, and too easy for people who don't understand what they are doing to get hurt.

TRF would be happy to help you with almost any other question. If you want to try a forum that deals with propellant formulations, you might try RocketryOnline; I think one of the forums at the bottom of their list deals with Experimental Rocketry.

Aerocon sells HTPB.

You also might want to talk to the folks over at www.ieas.org. They do a lot of experimental rocketry, especially motor development. Start w/ their forums or join their mailing list.

And if you made KNO3/"sugar" propellant that can't lift itself, you 've probably got the formulation/mixing/casting wrong, these folks make "sugar" motors up to the M range...

You probably want a copy of Terry McCreary's Book, and it'd be a VERY good idea to find a mentor with some experience formulating/mixing/casting propellant.

good luck, don't kill yourself,
-bill

If you want HTPB (Hydroxl-Terminated Polybutadiene) rubber go to Aerocon or CP Technologies. If you want help with EX then go to Rocketry Online and then go into the Amateur/Experimental forum there. On TRF you will not find propellant compositions discussed because the runners of TRF don't want that type of discussion here, and that's fine because there are lots of other places to discuss this type of research other then on TRF.
On another note, if your sugar propellant can't even lift it's own weight, there is definitly something wrong with your setup... could be the ratio's or the pressure you are running the motors at. For Ammonium Nitrate based propellants, you may want to check out CP Technologies.
It sounds like your new to Experimental rocketry, the sugar propellants are a good place to get started because they are so easy to make and cast, get yourself well grounded in their use before moving to more enerjetic mixes - well thats my opinion anyway.

All of the posts above give some really good advice.

I usually get my HTPB and other chemicals from Firefox.

If you are interesting in EX rocketry the aRocket forum is the place to ask questions and get answers, I find it more helpful then the RocketryOnline forum. This is a listserver type forum where you can ask questions from the EX experts.

For information on this forum goto:

https://www.arocketry.net/

Scott

Latest posts

Back