Proline GoDevil

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
This rocket has surface mount fins and the question is . . . you think the fins will stay on if I flew it on an I500 or a J570. I know, try it and let everybody know, lol.

I attached the fins with G5000 Rocketpoxy . . . the fillets are not particularly wide, about 3/16" on each side of the fins.

This rocket has surface mount fins and the question is . . . you think the fins will stay on if I flew it on an I500 or a J570. I know, try it and let everybody know, lol.

I attached the fins with G5000 Rocketpoxy . . . the fillets are not particularly wide, about 3/16" on each side of the fins.

I expect you won't have any troubles as long as you prepped with coarse sandpaper. You think the rocket will handle a 1080 case without nose weight? I used Proline 4500. Am making mine for the 720 and the venerable J350. Haven't simmed my setup but I suspect 9k'. If the 1080 works out I'd be tempted to build another one. Kurt

I ordered my GoDevil with an 18" payload instead of the 12" and Rocksim shows my rocket at 5.77 overstable with the J570 motor.

I still am not convinced the fins will stay on though. Rocksim doesn't show G forces but it does show max acceleration and the J570 sends the rocket off at max 2162 Feet/ Sec. Max velocity 1615 Feet/Sec.

Holee gucamole Hank. Doing some serious CG shifting. I did that with a 3" Wildman rocket. Didn't like the "short" upper bay so got a longer tube so I could put in a bigger main so's not to ding the paint up as much. Sort of moot as the paint gets dinged
anyways. Also had a fantasy of doing a high L/D research motor but have since seen how that can be dicey unless one knows what they are doing. What kind of tracker and deployment altimeter you going to use?
If using a MD bulkhead for motor retention you could try'er with a spacer to get some flight out of it with a smaller J first. Then when you're fully "fortified" go for the J570. Kurt

i didn't add anything other than the longer payload, so the CG is pretty much what it is. Using 10' of 1/4" kevlar and a 600# swivel in each section, so not much weight there. My coupler is 8", instead of 6", so I could use the RRC2+ with the 3D printed sled with 9 volt battery option. Didn't want to mess with Lipos, otherwise I could've used a different sled, save weight, and could have used a 6" coupler. All in all, the rocket comes in around 30 ounces. The rocket sims around 8200' on the I500 and 9800' with the J570. I doubt this rocket is anywhere near optimal weight and would get more altitude with some extra weight . . . will have to play with Rocksim to see where the optimal weight falls using those motors (I500, J570).

I haven't used trackers as of yet, and would certainly be using one with either the I500 or the J570. Leaving the NC coupler unglued until I decide which direction to go . . . perhaps using a removeable coupler like you are, with those #2 PEM nuts:grin:

I got some PEM nuts but you know what? The couplers for this rocket are a tad thicker than the N/C or body tubes. As an experiment, I just
drilled and tapped the holes with a 2-56 tap and by golly, with the fiberglass holding the threads, they're pretty secure. I'm not going to bother
with the PEM nuts. If that doesn't work out, I'll do something else with the next build.:wink: I don't know where you fly but folks out west in the wide open spaces tell me they can go pretty darned high and recover pretty well without a tracker but in the Midwest with crop stubble and ground clutter a tracker is good insurance for even a small project. Kurt

Last edited:
I am starting my build of the RW Go Devil soon and have been looking for a Rocksim file (only found an Open Rocket version). Do you know where I might find a Rocksim file for the rocket or would you care to share yours ? : )

You can export open rocket files to rocksim files

I am starting my build of the RW Go Devil soon and have been looking for a Rocksim file (only found an Open Rocket version). Do you know where I might find a Rocksim file for the rocket or would you care to share yours ? : )

I'll dig my file out and post if you need it. You should read this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-community-build-thread&p=1444602#post1444602
Do the ebay like Jim Hendricksen suggests and ignore mine. The nose mounted tracker I'm proud of. If you are going to do a K motor, you might want to do tip to tip lamination of the the fins.
I've been told if the empty weight with an empty motor case is 2lbs a 24" main chute is ok. Kurt

Back