proline 4500 on aluminum motor retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6inchmonster

Reaction score
Yeah, I know I could go get some JB Weld like the package says.

But what about proline? Should be fine with the temperatures involved, right? Does it stick to aluminum any better or worse?

It’ll stick just fine. Most epoxies would. The issue is whether it’ll withstand the heat. JBWeld advertises higher heat resistance. For most motors the exposure to heat is so short that the epoxy isn’t heated enough to be damaged. But, if you someday fly one of the new 15 second burn motors then the retainer is heat soaked the entire time. For that reason the motor retainer manufacturer recommends (maybe requires?) JBWeld.

I was looking mostly at this 200 degree celsius casing limit and I guess even oven-cured proline does not quite give enough to be certain, though it is close. But as long as temperature is the concern, I will file this one under "probably fine for 99% of flights" for now.

I was looking mostly at this 200 degree celsius casing limit and I guess even oven-cured proline does not quite give enough to be certain, though it is close. But as long as temperature is the concern, I will file this one under "probably fine for 99% of flights" for now.
The motor certification organizations measure the motor case in multiple spots and then take an average. The nozzle end could be quite a bit hotter than 200°C, especially for the long burn motors.

The motor certification organizations measure the motor case in multiple spots and then take an average. The nozzle end could be quite a bit hotter than 200°C, especially for the long burn motors.
that is great to know that the test is a spot average and not a max reading. Guess I should track which rockets I did this on, heh.

Probably still fine, probably most of the time (esp for G80s K550s etc), but yes definitely keeping longburns in a separate category.

Back