Proline 4500 Epoxy Mixing Ratio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshmel

Reaction score
I purchased some Proline 4500 epoxy during the Wildman BF sale. The can says the mix ratio is 5.5 parts resin to 1 part hardener. Simple question: Is this ratio measured by weight or volume?

I gotta say the PROLINE 4500 stuff is AMAZING! It's tricky to use at first, and I had the same question at first then figured it out after a test try. Sometimes I would mix too much and half of it would go to waste :facepalm: when I glued AP retainers the 5.5g to 1g would still be too much. But I've since made a ratio chart that helps very much, I'll share it with ya'll :)

Resin/Hardener
2.7g/0.5g
5.5g/1.0g
11.0g/2.0g
16.5g/3.0g
22.0g/4.0g
27.5g/5.5g

Now if someone can come up with a data sheet on this stuff it would be great! I have a data sheet for the 4100 but can't find any good info on the 4500 - any idea what the TG is?

Thanks for all the info. I have always wondered about the mixing ratio of epoxy, weight or volume. For years I have been mixing by weight using a .01 gram resolution scale - but wanted to verify the Proline since it is a premium product. Is is safe to assume that ALL epoxies are mixed by weight ratio (unless the instructions specify volume)?

GENIUS!!!!

I can't take credit, I stole it from crazy jim's 3" darkstar build, I think.

Thanks for all the info. I have always wondered about the mixing ratio of epoxy, weight or volume. For years I have been mixing by weight using a .01 gram resolution scale - but wanted to verify the Proline since it is a premium product. Is is safe to assume that ALL epoxies are mixed by weight ratio (unless the instructions specify volume)?

Most I've used are by weight, though the 4100 pumps go by volume, and I've had good luck with them so far. I've lately been eyeballing es6209 and JB weld at 1:1 and haven't had any issues turn up. 4500 I always do by weight, really need to get a triple beam balance.

Any good epoxy gives you both ratios. Aeropoxy laminating is 100:27 by weight, and 3:1 by volume, for example.

Hmmm... just received Proline Epoxy 4100 quart kit. Directions on can say mix ration 100 resin to 20 hardener. Reduced would be 5:1 ratio. Has Proline changed something as many say the ratio should be 5.5:1?

Edit: Never mind I purchased the wrong stuff. Meant to get 4500 and got 4100. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Proline website says 100:16 which a 6.25:1...am I missing something?

I have done some micro mixes for CR fillets and such like 1.7g dixie cup, 2.75g resin, and .5g hardner on HF tweaker scale.

That Mini Eagle Claw tailcone will never come off !

Kenny

I gotta say the PROLINE 4500 stuff is AMAZING! It's tricky to use at first, and I had the same question at first then figured it out after a test try. Sometimes I would mix too much and half of it would go to waste :facepalm: when I glued AP retainers the 5.5g to 1g would still be too much. But I've since made a ratio chart that helps very much, I'll share it with ya'll :)

Resin/Hardener
2.7g/0.5g
5.5g/1.0g
11.0g/2.0g
16.5g/3.0g
22.0g/4.0g
27.5g/5.5g

These ratios are incorrect according to the proline 4500Q spec from Wildman rocketry. They mention a 100:16 by mass ratio. Which is 6.25:1 the values in your Resin Hardener table have a 5.4:1 ratio. According to the spec sheet the 2.7/0.5g should read 2.7/.432g. The ratio excel sheet posted above was a good aid. Best.

I have mixed it both ways; 100:16 and 5.5:1 it works either way. My last order from Wildman gave a 100:16 ratio.

Ready for this question? Does anyone have ideas about the radio wave transmissivity of proline? In other terms my eggfinder GPS sled that’s going to ride in the nose cone will be a fiberglass laminate with proline, I’d hate to be blocking my signal.

Latest posts

Back