Project Venn

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you asked for name suggestions to begin with, many of them were punny (including my own). But cows? I never got why cows would be involved. Oh, I get how the cow noise wroks with the first part of "moving", and Venn with the second. And if cows were involved in some way other than the name then that would be perfect. But I never got why you'd introduce cows only for the sake of the naming pun.

OK, I'd never have said any of that if you hadn't asked, because it's all about what you want to do with your rocket. Since you did ask, though, there it is.

Regarding the choices above:
A. If that's what you want, by all means don't let me, critical family members, or anyone else stop you.

B. No. If there's anything worse than using a dad joke, it's using one but holding back. If you're going to go for it, go for it. And anyway, I think you'd have a really hard time doing surgery on the vinyl without messing it up.

C. Again, DIY vinyl surgery. And would it fit, i.e. is the remaining length compatible with the body tube circumference? If you want to ditch the cattle...

D. Yeah, you could do that. That's what I would do. But it's not my rocket.

definitely A. Remember, a rocket has multiple sides, so you can take pics with the silly side highlighted and others with the more conservative side as well. Maybe put the lug in the middle on one side between serious and conservative.

Oliver Hazard Perry would be proud. Full speed ahead! Now all that remains is to do a few mods to the shock cord to replace the bits that got too much epoxy on them. Unfortunately, my flying windows are Sundays and this Sunday looks rainy, so @RocketScientistAustralia will beat me to the air.

View attachment 506497 View attachment 506498

View attachment 506499 View attachment 506500
Nice job. I might print quick. But you'll beat me into the air. My printer has been banished from the dining room table. 😭. You're clear for launch. ............
Norm

No pictures, but here's the launch report. Moooo-Venn's maiden flight was on a CTI G126WT, drilled to a 4-second delay. OpenRocket said 5.5 seconds, but after a too-late deployment on an earlier flight, I decided that too early was better than too late. Up was beautiful, with an arrow-straight flight and no spin. It was still going up when the ejection charge fired, popping the nose cone but not the chute. It came down tail-first and stuck a little into the sod at 60 Acres, wrinkling to the body tube slightly in a couple of places. On inspection, it looked like the G-forces at launch jammed the chute down into the body tube and it stuck there when the ejection charge fired. I may put in a chute shelf for future flights.

Hmmmmm. Strokes non existent beard wisely trying to puzzle out what he can learn from this..........
Was the 5.5 sec calculated about right? You were just 1.5 sec too early or should delay have been longer still?

Hmmmmm. Strokes non existent beard wisely trying to puzzle out what he can learn from this..........
Was the 5.5 sec calculated about right? You were just 1.5 sec too early or should delay have been longer still?
I think that next flight I would go with 5 sec to see how that came out.

'Chute shelf sounds like a good idea. Or a baffle that doubles as a shelf.

I'm glad the wrinkling too bad to repair and fly again.

On second thought, you might want to look at your sim. My rings were quite thick (4-5mm) because they were based on mailing tubes with a cosmetic coat of carbon fiber. If you have more normal ring thicknesses, you might need a longer delay. Here's how I managed my sim:

Attachments

• Venn.ork
    2.8 KB · Views: 5
Back