Project MESOS. A two-stage flight to 293,488 ft!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you provide a detail or information on the interstage/stage connection? Simple slip joint drag separation or ??? Were you able telemeter data back or was that data all done post recovery?

Were you able telemeter data back or was that data all done post recovery?
Telemetry data was received on the ground during the flight. The Kate-3 system narrated the entire flight in real time using the telemetry data. Additional data was also processed post flight by downloading it from the flight hardware.

That is simply put AWESOME

Not just in terms of the fact that it's cool, but more in the point of it proves what really is possible for the Amateur rocketeers. (alternatively those of us that are not Elon Musk, Bezos, Nasa, Boeing etc..)

Great accompishment and thanks for sharing.

By the way, I to would love to see the design info!

Video update:

I’m just waiting on some ground footage from others. I’d hate to release something and miss a cool shot.

I will say I was incredibly lucky because the on-board GoPro that was filming 4K/60fps shutdown 20-30 seconds after apogee. If I had missed apogee, I’d probably crawl into a hole!

Anyways there’s lots of footage and more pictures to come over the next week or two. I just need a little time to get it all together. Thank you so much for the kind notes and congratulations over the last few days - it means a lot.

Cheers!

Incredible. I never though that altitude and velocity would be possible on an O to M launch. Is this a velocity record? Your launches are so freaking inspiring, thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Well, since lots of data is being posted, here is my ground video of the flight. Was an honor to witness it first-hand.

Jim

I couldn't agree more..
It truly was a honor to witness this flight first hand..
This was historic..
How often is a flight like this accomplished..
My absolute heartiest congratulations Kip..
Good for you man..

Teddy

I've never seen a static test filmed from so many angles - cool.
Do you really think you achieved an ISP of 233s? How did you come up with that number?

I've never seen a static test filmed from so many angles - cool.
Do you really think you achieved an ISP of 233s? How did you come up with that number?
Calibrated load cell and weighing each casting tube before casting the propellant. In the picture below that’s ~1,500 lbs if I remember correctly. Each plate was individually weighed on a calibrated scale and recorded. Then stacked all of them multiple times to ensure a reliable measurement on the test stand base with the load cell mounted.

233s is an accurate performance spec and I clipped the ISP measurement once thrust dropped below 10% of peak. If I went with the hobby standard of 5%, ISP would be a bit higher. 108CE760-132E-4CFF-9A34-E8689A6917D4.jpeg

Calibrated load cell and weighing each casting tube before casting the propellant. In the picture below that’s ~1,500 lbs if I remember correctly. Each plate was individually weighed on a calibrated scale and recorded. Then stacked all of them multiple times to ensure a reliable measurement on the test stand base with the load cell mounted.

233s is an accurate performance spec and I clipped the ISP measurement once thrust dropped below 10% of peak. If I went with the hobby standard of 5%, ISP would be a bit higher.

That is awesome. I used weights like that on a thrust stand I built in the past. Did you use a higher expansion ratio on the sustainer motor to get a little more performance?

That is awesome. I used weights like that on a thrust stand I built in the past. Did you use a higher expansion ratio on the sustainer motor to get a little more performance?
Thanks! Yes, I doubled the expansion ratio from what I tested on the ground for the sustainer flight motor. Beyond that was diminishing returns because the nozzle was getting quite long.

The specific impulse 233s + sounds impressive. I think shuttle SRB specific impulse was around 240s at sea level (vacuum Isp was nearly 270s). That must be some propellant and grain design. You have constant thrust for many seconds. I am wondering how you arrived at the delay time from first stage burn-out to second stage ignition.

The specific impulse 233s + sounds impressive. I think shuttle SRB specific impulse was around 240s at sea level (vacuum Isp was nearly 270s). That must be some propellant and grain design. You have constant thrust for many seconds. I am wondering how you arrived at the delay time from first stage burn-out to second stage ignition.
I am calculating around 240s+ for the Aerotech Propellant X so 233s is not suspiciously high. It is excellent though. All around this project is excellent. When I first saw it on facebook I was impressed, but as I dug deeper, I am realizing this was a very well thought-out and tested effort. I hope Kip documents the effort and publishes it.

Yea - I did a couple of quick sims and realized that number is quite feasible - chalk it up to brain fade when I asked.
And yes, impressive engineering all around.

Super ultra impressive, very well done. That's an achievement to aspire to!

Back