Project Icarus MK. I

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinshelwood

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post and project. Since I've learned to use machine tools I have always wanted to design make my own motor/nozzle. For this I've designed a de Laval nozzle with a 60 degree convergent section and a 12 degree divergent section. The nozzle OD is 2" and made of 1018 carbon steel. Here are some pics of the project thus far.

Screenshot-1.pngIMAG0196.jpgIMAG0198.jpgIMAG0199.jpg

For fuel I've opted to use the Flexi-Fuel mix described by WizzBang75 on youtube. From the bates grain calcualtor the motor will have 14 2.54" grains with an OD of 1.61 inches and core of 0.25". Max Kn for this motor should be 403. To keep the weight down the main body and bulk head will be made of aluminium. Initally I plan on static test of the motor design and may build another nozzle out of stainless if I can afford the material. That's all for now up next is internal threads in the nozzle and threading the motor body.

Last edited:
Steel motor parts (other than screws and retaining rings) are not allowed at a Tripoli launch.
If you are launching elsewhere good luck to you.
I would check your numbers.

M

Well I have been busy! I won't go into more details since this belongs in the research section except to say thanks for the advice. Here is a picture of the finished product.
IMAG0208.jpg

Static Test was successful.

[video=youtube;mj4gFUURwzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj4gFUURwzU[/video]

Back