Project Double Standard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread for a Team build I am part of.
We are building a 24" diameter 32 foot 2X upscale of the AGM-78 Standard Arm. The motor congifuration will be:

1 x Q15000
4 x O3700
4 x N3500

The rocket will be in the 1600lb range.

We have setup a Cafe Press site for a Tshirt (more items will be added later) Please buy a shirt to support the project!!

I will update the thread with info and pictures.

Ben

What ?!?!?!?!

You didn't ask your ol' buddy Dave to be a part of this project??!?!? I'm offended. :y:

Just kidding... good luck and can't wait to see the launch. :D

What ?!?!?!?!

You didn't ask your ol' buddy Dave to be a part of this project??!?!? I'm offended. :y:

Just kidding... good luck and can't wait to see the launch. :D

If your willing to pay for stuff I would be glad to put your name on it :roll:

We do plan to fly this at MDRA. Either this fall or next Spring depending on schedules and budgets.

Ben

I can't even think about another project until I get Black5 off the ground.

I can't even think about another project until I get Black5 off the ground.

Im the one doing the getting of the ground part too ;)

do you want us to keep the 12# of AP that will be used in those motors? Or do you want to pay for that later?

txt me if you want.......

Ben

Im the one doing the getting of the ground part too ;)

do you want us to keep the 12# of AP that will be used in those motors? Or do you want to pay for that later?

txt me if you want.......

Ben

I don't know if you can sell EX motors...

I don't know if you can sell EX motors...

He is not selling the motors. I loaned him some AP a while back and he is building a motor for me for a project that I'm doing.

Ben, subtract out the 12lbs from what you owe me.

That project sounds insane! I can't wait to see the pictures/videos...
Reed

haha :)

Ben Ullman
Jim Scarpine
Micheal Gunter
Paul Schaefer
Alan Whitmore
Ed Romani
Jason Collins

We all have a certain role and will get this thing done one way or another!!

Ben

Does anybody on the team have experience successfully flying a big (250lb+) rocket? Surely you aren't going to jump right from L3 sized projects to a 1600lb rocket, right? I'm sure if you tell us about all the previous successes with O and P motor flights a lot of the skeptics may be quiet.

Last edited:
I really don't get why there would be skeptics in the first place. It's not your design, it's not your money and it's not your propellant. Ask good questions and don't be demeaning about it. It's not necessary to ridicule.

-Dave

I have been flying L3 for years, and trust me,this thing aint gonna be 1600 pounds.

Yeah I am starting to agree. 1600lbs would be fully loaded with 9 motors. First flight will be on a central Q. Then I (we ;) ) may step it up!

Todd, I have not flown an O as of now but I will fly 2 at LDRS. Along with a N and 4K airstart project I am making the motors for.

Ben

I'd be happy to help out with the graphics for a little free advertising.

:D

By the way you cant build an AGM without a RIM67 booster... If your going big you might as well go really big.

Last edited:
very impressive project your team is building!:eek: Can't wait to see any pictures of this project.

Please don't be offended but why are you upscaling a Standard Arm? Going past full scale makes no sense to me, the only reason I can come up with is because you can.

24" gets you to the full scale Taurus booster with the many upper stages flown on it(like a full scale Sandhawk) even a full scale HoJo.

Just curious ;)

I'd be happy to help out with the graphics for a little free advertising.

:D

By the way you cant build an AGM without a RIM67 booster... If your going big you might as well go really big.

The team is holding me back!! ;) I do want to make it booster capable later on.

Any vendor that wants to donate SOMETHING will get free advertising on the rocket.

I guess a Terrier Booster would be about 36" Enough for a central 12" and 4 8" ;) Balls here we come!!

Ben

Back