Progress on the goddard project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
im gettin some work done on the goddard project for social studies due monday (oh crap!) and im building this:

goddard project

its gonna be about 34" when im done

the thing is in the picture those little thrust things out of the engine mount

if i made some of those out of metal (off an unbrella thats gonna be the chute) would they interfear with the rocket flight?

As long as you have them extend parallel to the motor you should be fine. You wouldn't want them assymetrically deflecting the exhaust.

You should go looka the the Goddard rocket at the Udvar-Hazy center.

up to the minute reports (or just something to do while parts dry)

the bodytube

well finished the arse end with oaktag... im gonna prime it nicely so the colors all look the same... but for now i gotta get my fins on... ughh... i have no quick dry apoxie...

Sweet, i wish my teacher would give me a assignment like this. I'd leap at the opportunity.

Dontcha just hate those last minute things.

oh fer sur :D

It actually flew very well. In fact, it flew better than *Goddard's* version. It would fly on A8, B6 and C6 motors, though with C6 it would get a little squirley towards the end of the boost.

The "fuel tubes" were 1/8" wood dowel.

Here is a picture of one that Brian McCarthy designed years ago that was about 2.5 times the size of mine, using BT-5 as the fuel tubes. This one flew about the same as Goddard's original as far as altitude. Both version flew suprizingly straight and had good recovery too.

https://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/13-mar-01/goddard03.jpg

jim

Goddard's original design was to build a rocket that would use multiple rocket engines; not stages or clusters like we're used to, but loaded into a chamber like bullets in a revolver. He only decided to use liquid fuel after spending many thousands of dollars trying (and failing) to develop his dream. Maybe you'd have better luck, Jim :)

i dont many pics of it painted... for some reason the camera wouldn't transfer them... ill get em up when i launch it... and thanks rstaff3 cause i was gonna paint it black but the red and silver is alittle more historically accurate...

Originally posted by jflis
oh fer sur :D
It actually flew very well. In fact, it flew better than *Goddard's* version. It would fly on A8, B6 and C6 motors, though with C6 it would get a little squirley towards the end of the boost.
The "fuel tubes" were 1/8" wood dowel.
jim

I'd ask you to post plans, but I don't need yet <i>another</i> rocket to work on... :D

Back