Professional Desktop CNC mill. Thoughts & reccomendations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
A call out to the professional designers & machinists out there.

I've been tasked with looking at desktop CNC machines. We currently have 2 3D printers (and are looking into a possible 3rd) We are also entertaining eh idea of a small "Desktop" CNC mill in place of a 3D printer. The idea is to get something other than 'plastic'. It'll be used for prototyping machined and moulded parts before committing to tooling.

We are a small-ish design team, and are well versed in CAD / CAM. Looking to get something to complement our R&D department, and take a bit of load off them.

This will pair with our excising 3D printers. See my other thread on '3D printers'.

Anyone have one? Recommendations? Expected budget is about $25k..

Tormach PCNC 770 or 1100 Deluxe w/ 4th axis and auto-oiler.

Note: not a pro, just where my research has lead me.

Tormach machines will definitely fit your budget and seem to be well liked (on my personal drool list too), but they are pretty good sized and might be too big for you - definitely not "desktop" format. Haas machines will not meet your budgetary estimate; their toolroom mill would be way cool but the entry fee is going to be $30K+ and it is still quite big. If physical size is really an issue, you could also have a look at the Minitech range; costs more than Tormach but will fit in $25K, also made in USA, physically smaller at the cost of considerably smaller xyz travel.

Another vote for the Tomach PCNC 1100. We got on for th office 6 months ago and have been very happy with it. Remember to leave $5k in the budget to oufit/tool the mill after you buy it.

Taig DSLS 3000 w/ 4th axis. Should be able to haul it in under $5K with a lot leftover for the PC and other stuff. Obviously if you are spending more the capabilities go up.

Greg

Taig DSLS 3000 w/ 4th axis. Should be able to haul it in under $5K with a lot leftover for the PC and other stuff. Obviously if you are spending more the capabilities go up.

Greg
Wow, that's pretty compelling. Might need to have a word with the shop guys to see if one of these can land on the purchasing schedule.

Wow, that's pretty compelling. Might need to have a word with the shop guys to see if one of these can land on the purchasing schedule.
The last part I machined was a 14" square plate. The 4th axis made this possible.
I've been nothing but impressed by the quality and customer service from Tormach. The machine was assembled with 2 guys in a day and we were making chips within an hour of finishing assembly. We had a couple of smaller issues and got fast personal answers from customer support (We had a question about the 4th axis and got forwarded to the guy that rebuilds them).
If we were ordering again, we'd get the automatic tool changer and full enclosure. I wish they offered a larger coolant reservoir.

Back