problems with white primer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
Does any one else have a hard time with white primer or is it just me.It allways seems to thick and glupey to me were as grey primer seems lighter.

I've never really noticed a difference and mostly use white primer. If you're letting it dry FULLY, it should sand easily and end up with a smooth finish for final paint.

I'm with ya - but I think the problem is more ours, than the paint. Sort of.

I think the grey primer covers a *lot* more quickly and easily. Meaning, it covers and hides all the color below it a lot quicker. Speaking for myself, that tempts me to apply the white primer "thicker" than I do grey, which leads to mishaps (drips and stuff.) It's taken some restraint of sorts, but I've tought myself to apply white primer in several light coats (usually 4, sometimes more) to get a nice uniform base coat. Grey can be done in one or two.

Kilz is the worst, BTW. Some people love it - I can't stand it.

Are you using the Halfords primer? It seems fine for me, but I havent used it since I tried the primer filler stuff.

Originally posted by arthur dent
Does any one else have a hard time with white primer or is it just me.It allways seems to thick and glupey to me were as grey primer seems lighter.

I never have that problem with primer. Are you putting it on thick? If so, don't. It's only to provide a base for other paint to stick to, not to be a layer of thickness itself. If you want a smoothing layer between primer and color, try white satin finish. That DOES go on thick, doesn't run easily, and fill spirals and wood grain.

White primers are normally finish primers with the next to the finest solids to be had. Red Oxide primers have the super fine retouch solids, but are usually to expensive for model use. Black, Blown and grey primers are hi build and general use filler primers.
I have a friend who swore by White primers for all his models, until I took him through a 3 step to no body tube seam/ wood grain process. Note this takes the place of fill and finish also.
3 wet coats each, black (heavy build) Grey (medium build) sand after the third coat of each has dried, then 2 coats of white primer, sand with 220 wet/dry than 600grit wet/dry sand and inspect of defects. If you find something your not happy with another coat of wihte will ususally comptete the task.

IMHO for larger models Kilz is by far the best. I recently tried it and am using it right now on my dad's 4" ASP. It does an amazing job filling small imperfections and is easily sandable.

I can see why it wouldn't be good for small models because it is very aggressive. It comes out of the can VERY quick.

Back