Problem with V2 fins.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asenna

Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Having difficulty getting my fins to go on straight on my Estes V2. I am building the smaller re-issue version. I made up new fins using basswood and am having a heck of a time getting them to fit well and be even. Even the kit's balsa ones don't seem to fit correctly.

Any good ideas?
 
Originally posted by asenna
Having difficulty getting my fins to go on straight on my Estes V2. I am building the smaller re-issue version. I made up new fins using basswood and am having a heck of a time getting them to fit well and be even. Even the kit's balsa ones don't seem to fit correctly.

Any good ideas?

When you go to stick them on, mix glue with filler (that white powdery stuff used to fill spirals), and use that. It'll help fill the gaps. Just in case this might make the glue weaker (I think it'll do the opposite, but just in case) use a knife to cut cross-hatching lines in the fin root, and use a push pin to poke holes every 5mm or so along the fin root line on the boat tail. These will increase the surface area available to the glue and make the joint stronger. Good fillets (several thin ones layed over each other) will hide any uneveness in the glue joint.
 
Can you be more specific when you say straight?

The smaller Estes V-2 has through the wall fins, I guess I can't seem to visualize an alignment problem.

Please elaborate.
 
When I put in a fin into the slots a gap is left betweeen the root edge of the fine and the tapered body tube. It also seems to me that the fins are not making contact with the motor tube.

I know its a matter of trial and error to get a good fit and make the fins even but I have spent hours on this thing and it's driving me nuts. On my third set of fins.
 
Although making contact with the motor tube is ideal it is not "critical" on this particular model.

Do this.

sand the root edge of the fins between the tabs (the part against the tailcone) until the fin tabs hit the motor tube. If there is a gap at the tailcone...don't worry about it.

Fill that in with a nice filet. The real V-2 had a pretty good filet at the root.
 
is there a ring or tape retaining the engine hook? you may have to notch the tab to clear it
 
I have a copy of this kit down in my "to-build" cabinet - I haven't opened the bag yet, but the fin slots in the tail cone (which are RAISED out of the tail cone) do look rather thick, maybe a little hard to cut out accurately.

I guess do the best ya can with a utility knife, clean up with an x-acto and razor saw, then Dremel the edges and cover any shaggy edges up with a glue or epoxy fillet...

:rolleyes:

I think I'm gonna make my own "clone version" of this kit, and go with a balsa tailcone. Cutting out the fin slots on a plastic tailcone is a PIA. :rolleyes:
 
JStarStar,

Actually, the raised notches are a cinch to cut with a razor saw. As with anything, don't be too aggressive--it's always easier to remove a bit more than to build up again.

As far as the fit problems go, I always make sure the TTW tabs are a bit too big so I can gradually sand them to make them fit just right.

My advice would be to get the TTW tabs glued well to the MMT--it's easy enough to fill any gaps between the fin and the tailcone with your favorite filler.

MetMan
 
Back
Top