Problem printing templates in RS8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
Hey guys... I'm having a small problem with RS 8. I'm trying to print out centering ring templates and they're coming out with no hole... like a bulkhead template.

How do I convince it to print the hole for it?? Thanks! OL JR :)

I've had this problem before and am trying to remember the solution. I think it had something to do with making sure the engine tube was indicated as such in the parts tab. Also, make sure the engine tube portrudes slightly through the centering ring.

I do remember that Tim had me try various color combinations when printing, but that didn't help.

Thanks, I'll go double check that, but I'm almost 100 percent positive that it's designated as an engine tube... it won't let you load engines for simulations without it being checked off as an engine tube...

If you remember more please post or PM. Thanks! OL JR :)

this happened to me a few weeks ago ...

I think the fix was to uncheck the "automatically adjust measurements" checkbox (it's called something like that), on the ring's dialog box.

this happened to me a few weeks ago ...

I think the fix was to uncheck the "automatically adjust measurements" checkbox (it's called something like that), on the ring's dialog box.

Well, the "automatically calculate known values" box is unchecked...

I tried checking it but it totally changes the size of the ring, from like just over 2 inches to less than 1 inch OD. That doesn't make sense.

These are custom rings for stiffening up a paper shroud on a BT-80 based Pershing II project I'm working on (on the back burner) with a BT-52 stuffer tube.

I still don't get it... OL JR :)

OK - just checked the sim that had the issue - I had it backwards in the previous reply. to get the rings to print correctly, the "automatically adjust measurements" box is checked. in my sim (BT50 in BT80) the ring is from the database (BMS CR5080). but it would not print correctly until I checked the box.

yours is a custom ring, not from the database?

OK - just checked the sim that had the issue - I had it backwards in the previous reply. to get the rings to print correctly, the "automatically adjust measurements" box is checked. in my sim (BT50 in BT80) the ring is from the database (BMS CR5080). but it would not print correctly until I checked the box.

yours is a custom ring, not from the database?

Yes. It's a custom ring to stiffen the paper shroud used for the tapering upper stage of a Pershing II missile. When I'm working on a design in RS, I usually just get the closest ring from the database and then modify it in the measurement boxes to make it fit correctly in the model.

The thing will print the outer diameter just fine, but it won't print the hole centered in the middle of it. Weird. I don't think it's just this design either, I've had it do the same thing on several different designs I printed out parts for awhile back and put in the file envelope I keep my designs in.

I've tried it both ways with the dialog box and it doesn't change how it prints, just screws up the measurements...

thanks! OL JR :)

Don't know if you fellas are still following this, but I think I figured it out. I kept having this problem for 2 years now, till I figured out or remembered that the centering rings need to be placed under the outside body tube, not under the engine mount. Apparently the software works from the outside in, or something like that.

Last edited:
Back