Problem installing version 1.6.8 AltOS and or TeleGPS app on macOS Sierra 10.12.3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.3 with Java 8 update 121 and have successfully run both AltOS and TeleGPS apps from Altus Metrum for versions 1.6.0 through to version 1.6.5. I recently tried to update to version 1.6.8 for both of those applications and I get the following errors respectively:

"AltOS UI" is damaged and can't be opened
"TeleGPS" is damaged and can't be opened

At first I thought that it may have something to do with the way I installed the app. I installed it in a sub-folder named "AltOS" or "TeleGPS", within the "Applications" folder followed by a sub-folder for the different versions 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.5 and 1.6.8, respectively. However I also installed it simply by dragging the contents of the .dmg file into the "Applications" folder, and it and it yields the same result. I also tried to re-download the file several times at several different times, and it also has the same result. I confirmed that all the previous versions still run. I run Integro Virus Barrier for Mac and disabled the real-time scanning, no difference. I also have a firewall that does DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) and disabled all scrutiny of traffic, then re-downloaded the file, same result. I also tried to download the file using Safari 10.0.3, Firefox 51.0.1, and Chrome 56.0.2924.87 (yes that is a real version number) and all yielded the same results.

There is another error message that is close to this and is handled by adjusting the security setting for trusted apps. However this does not appear to be the fix in this case as this typically shows the app in question and you simply create an exception. Either that or there was an update to the OS which necessitates a different protocol to create an exception.

I noticed this about a month ago, when I went to update my firmware to 1.6.8. I was able to update the firmware using version 1.6.5 of the app by simply pointing to the new firmware within version 1.6.8. However I was recently reading a thread on an Altus Metrum product and decided to review the bug fix section, applicable to the app, and now I would like to ensure that I am running the latest version.

Is anyone else having a problem downloading and running version 1.6.8 of these apps on a Mac?

Last edited:
This should be just a symptom of our applications not being "signed". You used to be able to work around the problem by changing your system settings to allow running applications from anywhere; I'd assume that setting is still available somewhere, but don't have anything with that OS version to test with.

This should be just a symptom of our applications not being "signed". You used to be able to work around the problem by changing your system settings to allow running applications from anywhere; I'd assume that setting is still available somewhere, but don't have anything with that OS version to test with.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that is what I was trying to elude to when I commented about the other error message. The work around in that case is to hold down the control key when clicking the app and selecting open, however it still does not run.

Hopefully another Mac user will speak up.

The work around in that case is to hold down the control key when clicking the app and selecting open, however it still does not run..

Hrm. I wasn't aware of that work-around. I'd only ever known about changing the system settings to allow you to run applications downloaded from places other than Apple.

Hrm. I wasn't aware of that work-around. I'd only ever known about changing the system settings to allow you to run applications downloaded from places other than Apple.

Below is a cut and paste of the procedure from Mac help.

Open an app by overriding security settings
You can open an app that isn’t allowed to open by manually overriding the settings in Security & Privacy preferences.
In the Finder, locate the app you want to open.
Most apps can be found in the Applications folder.
Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
Click Open.
The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorized app.

The way I interpret it is that if the app does not show up as an app that you can create an exception for, this process forces it. Under normal conditions after I cannot open an un-trusted app I open up "System Preferences" then "Security and Privacy" unlock the options and the app you just tried to open is there for you to set an exception. Of course you have to adjust the setting to allow apps not just from the app store.

However this procedure has no effect in this case. Although I am an IT consultant and use a Mac personally, I am at best a slightly above average Mac user. So I am a bit lost on this one. I know Java is a very dynamic platform and this relies on Java, however as stated all previous versions run. Then there is the OS and it's changing environment from a security perspective. So there is a bit to consider but hopefully another Mac user has the issue and we drive it forward.

In the interim I will just have to use AltOS and TeleGPS v1.6.5

Hi Keith,

I stumbled across the answer. I had to disable the Gatekeeper at the command line. The option to bypass it by using the normal method in "System" "Security & Privacy" then overriding the app, as well as the method I mentioned by right clicking the app with the control button pressed to create an exception, had not effect.

To do this you go to terminal and type "sudo spctl --master-disable". When you run this command you will see the "Anywhere" option back on the General tab of Security & Privacy, under "Allow apps downloaded from:" At some point the "Anywhere" option was taken away in MacOS, that is unless you disable the Gatekeeper.

I then tried to re-enable it thinking that if I allowed it once it would remember it however whatever the issue is persists through the changes, so I left it disabled. Something must be funky on my system.

Mac comes with security set for apps only bought from Apple store. If they don't pay for license , then it won't open without "override" shown below.......

First open system preferences.....click security & privacy...top row to right.

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.46.08 AM.jpg

This is what show if trying to open non-approved apps.....

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.48.09 AM.png

Now open the lock at bottom left corner, so you can make changes.[after entering your password]
Change to "anywhere"

This box shows up and "allow" anywhere.

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.48.32 AM.png

Now you can run anything with out further fuss!:smile: Easy....Peasy..... it will ask this every time though.

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.48.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Mac comes with security set for apps only bought from Apple store. If they don't pay for license , then it won't open without "override" shown below.......

First open system preferences.....click security & privacy...top row to right.

View attachment 314818

This is what show if trying to open non-approved apps.....

View attachment 314819

Now open the lock at bottom left corner, so you can make changes.[after entering your password]
Change to "anywhere"

This box shows up and "allow" anywhere.

View attachment 314820

Now you can run anything with out further fuss!:smile: Easy....Peasy..... it will ask this every time though.

View attachment 314821

Hi Jim,

Thanks, what you describe is the "Gatekeeper" technology that must have changed with a Mac update and the "Anywhere" option" disappears. In that case you have to run the command in my previous post.

Back