Problem - Bolt Corners Rounded Off

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the things I tried didn't work. Heat gun, propane torch, Craftsman damaged bolt head remover, etc. The result is an almost polished round bolt head.

Looks like I'm cutting/grinding it off.

I picked up a 4-1/2" angle grinder from HF. Anyone have any tips for this stage? Cut the bolt head off then grind or grind only?

Greg

Heat gun ad propane are a waste of time. You need oxy-acetylene and a pipe wrench with some leverage (steel pipe over the handle). If that doesn't work, why waste your time with anything else?

https://www.partshotlines.com/component/phl/search/

$60 for the spindle and you already have the bearings. I'd wager to say with a local yard search you could score a spindle for half that. Half-ton Chevys are ubiquitous. Just don't round off anything else during the replacement :)

Immediately after cutting the bolt head off, start touching the cut off stuck portion with the remains of a nice quality wax candle. The wax liquefies, and creeps into the threads. That's how we extract rusted bolts and nuts and has a high rate of success. If you have access to a welder, weld a nut to the cut off bolt. This serves two purposes. First, a new hex to turn, and second, it warms up the threaded portion. If you have the room, you can use a bigger nut than the original head. Just don't weld the nut to the frame. You'll be welding in a small hole, so a MIG welder works best. Hope these ideas help.

Victory!

Successful.Bolt.Removal.jpg

I ground off most of the head and ground a slot (all of this done with a cutting wheel) into the bolt, like a large screw. I then used a cold chisel and a 3 lb sledge to bang into one side of the slot until it began to turn. I was relieved when it began moving.

The rotor was placed and the brakes were mounted and torqued. After the tire was mounted, we took it for a test drive. It drove well and it fixed the "turbo" noise coming from the front of the vehicle. I appreciate all of the input and I am glad that this challenge was won!

Greg

Speedout :)

[YOUTUBE]kaWqBTN79zo[/YOUTUBE]

Ha Ha! I actually bought that set a while back, even though I haven't used it. I'm glad I didn't have to go the bolt extractor route. Even the diamond cutting wheel on my Dremel was making very slow progress on that steel.

Greg

Another suggestion for future reference, you can take a cheap socket and weld it to the bolt head. Then attach a breaker bar (and cheater, if needed) and have at it. Works great for studs that nothing else will work on too.

This is also a reason why an impact gun is very handy. Many times the hammering force can break a stuck nut or bolt free. If you can't get an impact on it (or don't have one) a combination wrench and dead blow can also help knock stuck fasteners free.

Glad to see you were Victorious!
Somehow, I just new it would include a Chisel.

Victory!

View attachment 310089

I ground off most of the head and ground a slot (all of this done with a cutting wheel) into the bolt, like a large screw. I then used a cold chisel and a 3 lb sledge to bang into one side of the slot until it began to turn. I was relieved when it began moving.

The rotor was placed and the brakes were mounted and torqued. After the tire was mounted, we took it for a test drive. It drove well and it fixed the "turbo" noise coming from the front of the vehicle. I appreciate all of the input and I am glad that this challenge was won!

Greg

Congrats on getting it off. I'm surprised no one mentioned the pound a socket on. For a 15mm, I'd get a cheap 6 point 9/16" socket and beat the thing on. Usually works pretty well. That's how you get wheel locks off that you can't find the key for.

Always use 6pt sockets when possible. And ALWAYS double check the torque spec!
As far as rounded heads/nuts go, again using a 6pt socket, try the next smaller size (keep in mind it may not be metric or standard) and use a hammer to pound the socket over head/nut. Then loosen carefully...

Congrats on getting it off. I'm surprised no one mentioned the pound a socket on. For a 15mm, I'd get a cheap 6 point 9/16" socket and beat the thing on. Usually works pretty well. That's how you get wheel locks off that you can't find the key for.

:point: :point: :cheers:

I think this bolt was too hardened to do that. I split one socket in the process. I figured it must have been near the spec torque. I'm just glad I got it out!

Greg

Someone suggested earlier to weld a nut on. Based on my tools and skillset that is the approach I would take.

Tactics depend on what you have available.

If I had those tools and skillset I would have done that, too.

Greg

Latest posts

Back