Probable problems with old reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil ed

Reaction score
I had a chance to purchase a quantity of reloads at "a good price". these were 18mm, 24mm and 29mm, ranging from B through G. When I got them I found these suckers are ANCIENT:y:. While most of them look OK (some of the grains look a little dark), three of the G reloads look mushroomed on the ends, and the slot in the core has swelled shut

Any recommendations? (Other than don't do it again)
Any hope?

Well... for the first few, use rockets that can survive a CATO...

For all the reloads, make sure to sand the slot / core of the grain with some 80 grit sandpaper first, to remove some of the corrosion. That'll make them a lot easier to light.

I'd check the o-rings to make sure they're all still in good shape, and that the delay won't leak gases.

Other than that, certainly post how they perform.

Also: 18mm B reloads... someone still had those lying around? :eyepop:

I still have some un-opened B6-2 reloads for 18mm. Through the package, they look fine, always kept in climate controlled home.

Fly them with rockets from the guy that sold you the engines!! :)

https://home.earthlink.net/~fredeshecter/cato_origin.pdf

Well... for the first few, use rockets that can survive a CATO...

For all the reloads, make sure to sand the slot / core of the grain with some 80 grit sandpaper first, to remove some of the corrosion. That'll make them a lot easier to light.

I'd check the o-rings to make sure they're all still in good shape, and that the delay won't leak gases.

Other than that, certainly post how they perform.

I just lit a F-40 yesterday that was 9yrs old with the same problem.

Had to peel some outer layers of the grain and spacer to fit.

Sanded a new slot also as the old one was swollen shut, sanded the ends of grain to fit.

Only problem you will have is getting it to light. I did not even try a copperhead, went straight to a 2 wire igniter. It went well after the mods.

Back