Pro38 closure question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhanna

Reaction score
At an upcoming launch I was planning to launch an I345 but it's from the time frame that may be an issue. Can I switch the forward closure of another Pro38 I have thats not in question to the suspect one? Such as an I195, I216 or I540.

At an upcoming launch I was planning to launch an I345 but it's from the time frame that may be an issue. Can I switch the forward closure of another Pro38 I have thats not in question to the suspect one? Such as an I195, I216 or I540.

Interesting question. Aren't there like 2 formulas of delay? Maybe I'm thinking AT. At any rate, different propellants run at different pressures which makes the delay grain burn at slightly different rates, so I would think that if you're swapping a blue for a blue, or a white for a white, that you're probably OK, but anything else crossing propellant types would be a crap shoot.

Unless, of course, CTI only uses one FORMULA and SIZE of delay pellet, then it's a universal swap. THAT would be cool, and potentially save the summer flying season for some folks. At least until CTI can push out replacement closures to their vendors.

Yes, you can switch fwd delay closures, as all 38 fwd closures are the same, as are 29mm and 54mm fwd closures and, "are interchangeable within their size"...

Last edited:
Yes, you can switch fwd delay closures, as all 38 fwd closures are the same, as are 29mm and 54mm fwd closures and, "are interchangeable within their size"...

Is that correct? The CTI bulletin says that the housing itself is the same for all Pro-38 loads, but goes on to say:

Please identify to your dealer in advance the exact reload model number to receive the appropriate forward closure/delay module.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

I wondered the same thing but I have never seen any markings on the forward closure to signify what motors it's for? At least what I can recognize.

Maybe it's the color of the glue for the delay grain? I'm pretty sure that I have some that I would describe as natural epoxy color and some that are rust colored.

Back