PRO LINE BLACK HIGH TEMP vs G5000 RocketPoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Aero

Reaction score
What is the main difference betwen them and witch one is the best for make fillets on a 29mm minimum diameter rocket ( so the fins are glue only by the fillets outside the main tube )

From what I can read from comments, the RocketPoxy is less brittle, actually I'm using Aeropoxy and looking for other options as I found it way to brittle for fillets.

Rocket this small, I doubt you will notice much difference.

But that being said, encountering more extreme/larger size flights, there are several better solutions including some made by 3mm & Loc-Tite.

I know of no 29 mm project that approaches the need for any radical glues, where most we use will suffice.
My opinion only here...lol

By the way, I have used both glues you mention, early on my journey & have nothing bad to say about either.
For a 29 or even a 38, I would grab which ever one was closer. [and have...lol]

I used good ole West on 54 minimum's over flying over M-2, just fillets [no T-T] fins are still there.
You can just add the correct filler for fillets & make just about any of them work.

What is the main difference betwen them and witch one is the best for make fillets on a 29mm minimum diameter rocket ( so the fins are glue only by the fillets outside the main tube )

From what I can read from comments, the RocketPoxy is less brittle, actually I'm using Aeropoxy and looking for other options as I found it way to brittle for fillets.

Which Aeropoxy are you using and are you using any amendments, such as chopped fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc? I use the laminating Aeropoxy with West 404 or 406 and have never experienced any brittleness.

Steve Shannon

Which Aeropoxy are you using and are you using any amendments, such as chopped fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc? I use the laminating Aeropoxy with West 404 or 406 and have never experienced any brittleness.

Steve Shannon

I use the structural 6209 , I tried with the 404 and the 406, on heavy rocket I get crack time to time in the middle of the fillet on hard landing . But to be honest it's look that since I cure it in an oven I don't experience crack anymore. I once tried with ¼ shopped fiber but it was too coarse, I remove the epoxy before it cure.
The think is that I want to order a 29mm Blackhawk from Wildman or the GO Devil from Madcow, and the Wildman come with the Proline and Madcow sell the RocketPoxy, and I want to give a try to other stuff than Aeropoxy, it's also very long to cure

I use the structural 6209 , I tried with the 404 and the 406, on heavy rocket I get crack time to time in the middle of the fillet on hard landing . But to be honest it's look that since I cure it in an oven I don't experience crack anymore. I once tried with ¼ shopped fiber but it was too coarse, I remove the epoxy before it cure.
The think is that I want to order a 29mm Blackhawk from Wildman or the GO Devil from Madcow, and the Wildman come with the Proline and Madcow sell the RocketPoxy, and I want to give a try to other stuff than Aeropoxy, it's also very long to cure

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Both are good kits.

Steve Shannon

For my MC GD29 I selected Proline for the fin roots and Rocketpoxy for the fillets. No flight report yet, at this size even an H399 isn't likely to rip us apart on a nominal flight.

I use the Aeropoxy ES6279, which is a 2 part 1 to 1 ratio mix. ES6279 already has fillers in and is a thick ketchup like epoxy when mixed.

I prefer the working characteristics of Rocket Poxy for structural, and 4500 HANDS DOWN is so much easier to work with to do fillets it's not even funny. Once you get a feel for how much 4500 you'll need and what your timing should be on the mix and lay down, it's easy to make near perfect fillets the first time, every time, with no sanding required.

I use the Aeropoxy ES6279, which is a 2 part 1 to 1 ratio mix. ES6279 already has fillers in and is a thick ketchup like epoxy when mixed.

I just ordered a ES6279 it was not available at aircraftspruce in Canada few years ago. It's seem to look close to Aeropoxy, especially the color. The working time is shorter than the 6209, can be a real advantage, all true the 6209 is more strong and the Elongation at Break a little bit higher.

Interesting the techdata of the Aeropoxy 6228, the Tensile is higher than 6209 and the elongation too , but what is interesting the tensile on Al, is about the same at 77F and 140F that make me think it will be better for minimal diameter since the motor touch the tube and heat from the motor is transmit to the tube, so to the fillets. To compare the 6209 tensile on Al is is @ 77oF 2,900 psi @ 140oF 700 psi. and 6279 is @ 77oF 3,480 psi @ 140oF 2,000 psi.

6228 data
Tensile Strength, psi 9,500 psi
Elongation at Break, % 8 %
Aluminum to Aluminum Tensile Lap Shear @ 77oF 3,480 psi @ 140oF 3,150 psi D1002

I used RocketPoxy on my Formula 200. N motor, 7 or 8 G max accel., 8500', recovered perfectly. So if I should have used a better epoxy, you couldn't tell it by my flight. Be careful of overkill, and be sure to follow the instructions and sand all surfaces before applying. Also, clean all surfaces before applying.

Back