Pro Bond polyurethane glue...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Just an FYI on the Pro Bond polyurethane glue. Make sure you keep it sealed real good when not in use. Just happened to take a look at it this morning and it was hard as a rock for the 1st inch or so. I guess maybe it was hydroscopic and got a little moisture in it...?

you could keep it in a ziplock bag with some dessicant granules, I read a tip about keeping cya stored that way.haven't tried it yet

Moisture (or humidity) is definitely what causes it to react. Always keep it in a dry, cool place with the cap well sealed!

As the others have said, moisture will make this happen. But I've used many bottles of various brands and never have had that kind of problem. The worst being having to push a plug of hardened glue out of the applicator.

Dude, quit buildin' yer rokits in the shower :D

Originally posted by rstaff3
Dude, quit buildin' yer rokits in the shower :D
I knew I shoulda put a shower cap on that puppy. ;)
It more than likely happened when we had those huge rainfalls back in June. The drain backed up once (fortunately, it was from the tile, not the drain from the street) and I had to pump it out for a few hours.

To keep it longer, flip it upside down and store it that way. That is what I do on the jobsite and they keep just fine.

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
To keep it longer, flip it upside down and store it that way. That is what I do on the jobsite and they keep just fine.

Edward
Tnx Ed.
Makes perfect sense. Using the contents as a fluid "stopper" would make it more difficult for air and moisture to enter the container.

Wouldn't that have the possibility of having the opposite effect? Instead of the glue being separated from the air and moisture be in almost direct contact? What if you dropped in in a bucket of water? :eek:

Jason

If you have the bottle right side up - then when moisture gets in then you have the bottle ID times Pi in surface area that will harden. If you flip it upside down then you have what you cut your spout to to harden. That will harden and then seal it. I have never had a problem and we have went through gallons of the stuff.

Edward

Back