Pro 54 2G LB issues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pro54 2G LB motors

Sep 13 2022

Cesaroni Technology Inc has noticed that there has been a higher failure rate than normally expected on Pro54 2G SK (J145) reloads. We have been looking into this matter and have verified the anomaly which stems from an over-pressurization after ignition.

Upon investigation it appears the cause is due to the tape around the igniter pellet plugging the bore of the nozzle upon ignition.

From here forward the Pro 54 2G Skidmark (699J145-19A) and 2G Red Lightning motors (614I100-17A) will no longer have an ignition pellet but instead will have a dipped igniter, like our larger Pro 54 LB motors.

However, to address all the affected reloads currently in circulation CTI has approved a small “in-field” modification to fix the issue. This modification can be done by the end-user during preparation for launch and simply involves removing the ignition pellet and replacing the supplied e-match. CTI has successfully conducted an entire series of motor testing with this modification. We also hope that if any end-user of these affected reloads does not feel comfortable conducting this modification themselves, they can seek the assistance of any ProX dealers at the launch site during preparation for flight. Furthermore, the current e-match supplied with the reloads will not be sufficient to ignite the motor without a pellet, therefore a typical “pyrogen type” igniter will be required. We will supply a number of these igniters to our ProX dealers to give out with the reloads that haven’t yet been modified.

A copy of the in-field modification instructions is included with this bulletin and can also be found on our website. It will also be supplied to the ProX dealers for public distribution

Dealers Inventory

To address the ProX dealers’ current inventory of motors (Pro 54 2G SK & RL) that are affected but not yet sold to the public, CTI is asking all dealers to place a label on the affected reload packaging identifying it as requiring the “in-field modification”. CTI can supply any dealers with either an electronic copy of label details for immediate printing or CTI can ship the label direct for them to be applied (at our cost). Please inform your CTI representative of which method works best for your time/schedule.

In addition, all future Pro 54 2G SK & RL reloads manufactured by CTI after September 15, 2022, will have an additional label (“QC Approved”) placed on the packaging identifying it as not requiring the in-field modification.

This will be done to reduce confusion between future reloads. We will keep this identification process in place for the next 2 years (or longer if deemed necessary).

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or hobby rockets that have been affected by this issue. For any hobby rocket failures in flight that occurred because of this pellet issue please follow the regular warranty process by contacting your ProX dealer. The dealers will then provide all the details to CTI so we can ensure you receive the appropriate warranty.

Sincerely,

Cesaroni Technology Inc

Instructions for Pro54 2G LB motors

Pellet Removal

Sep 13, 2022

Cesaroni Technology Inc has noticed that there has been a higher failure rate than normally expected on Pro54 2G SK (J145) reloads. We have been looking into this matter and have verified the anomaly which stems from an over-pressurization after ignition.

Upon investigation it appears the cause is due to the tape around the igniter pellet plugging the bore of the nozzle upon ignition. To fix the issue, the pellet must be removed from the motor grain. All motors with propellant manufacturing date after September 15, 2022, will have already been modified and be identified with a CTI “QC Approved” sticker attached to the reload packaging. Motors that have a “Pellet Removal Required” or no label will need to remove the pellet.

To remove the pellet from the motor grain, begin by unpackaging the reload and remove either the forward closure or aft closure (nozzle) from the phenolic liner. Then remove the propellant grain from the phenolic liner.

Next, remove the pellet from the grain. To conduct this procedure, use an instrument/tool which can be inserted through the aft bore of the grain. This will assist in pushing the pellet out the top/forward of the grain. Apply a constant pressure evenly on this tool to extract the pellet. DO NOT bang, hammer, pound, etc. on the pellet since they are brittle. Only a few pounds of force are required to dislodge the pellet. The instrument/tool can be any rod with a smaller diameter than the bore of the propellant grain (i.e. Ø1/2in). The instrument/tool MUST have a flat top (such as the back of pen, wooden dowel, etc). Ensure it is not pointed or sharp which may cause the brittle pellet to break up. After removal replace the grain into the phenolic liner and replace the forward closure and/or nozzle that was previously removed. Then proceed to assemble the motor as per the instructions, after adjusting the delay if required.

Furthermore, the current e-match supplied with the reloads will not be sufficient to ignite the motor without a pellet, therefore a typical “pyrogen type” igniter will be required. A number of igniters will be supplied to the dealers for customers who have already purchased reloads previously.

Sincerely,

Cesaroni Technology Inc
2561 Stouffville Road
Gormley, Ontario
L0H 1G0
Phone: 905-887-2370
Fax: 905-887-2375b Site: www.cesaroni.net www.pro38.com

I have 3. I also have lots of starter methods from slivers of propellant, commercial dip kits on ematches, to fast fuses or BP slurry (allowed to dry) between the forward closure and top grain. Any preferences? Also commercial starters, such as Wildman little-uns to big-uns.?

Interesting... the J145 LBSK is one of my favorite motors, I've probably flown 5 or 6 of these in the past two years. No issues...

I have 3. I also have lots of starter methods from slivers of propellant, commercial dip kits on ematches, to fast fuses or BP slurry (allowed to dry) between the forward closure and top grain. Any preferences? Also commercial starters, such as Wildman little-uns to big-uns.?
Commercial dip kits or commercial starters are recommended.

I kind of hate these “you can fix our problem for us yourself” solutions.
I honestly prefer this way of handling the problem to "any malfunction of any kind must be sent back to the manufacturer for professional repair." Sure, it would be nice if it didn't break in the first place, but I'd rather pry out a pellet than have to ship my motors to Canada and back and be delayed a month or more.

I appreciate that they did it this way. The fix is child's play and they are supplying an igniter for those that need one. I see it as win-win situation.

To me, it seems like a half measure that doesn’t work for all customers and is definitely inconvenient.

To get that ”free” igniter, you need convenient access to a CTI vendor. I fly a lot of CTI, but I don’t have a vendor that comes to my regular launches, so I buy most of it online. I don’t see an online vendor agreeing to ship me a replacement igniter for free. So the most likely solution would be that I would just pay the few bucks and buy a suitable igniter to solve the issue. I can eat that cost but it’s not great.

And while removing the pellet should be easy enough, using a dipped igniter in a long-burn motor is a pain, because typically the pyrogen will not pass through the throat of the nozzle and thread up through the grain. It’s too narrow on long burn motors. That’s why these motors are choking — the opening is to small to pass the little piece of residue. I don’t know about this particular motor, but that’s the case with other CTI long-burns I’ve used. If your club does not allow you to install igniters until the rocket is on the pad (mine doesn’), then my guess is you are going to have to load the rocket on the pad, remove the retainer, remove the closure, remove the nozzle, insert the igniter into the grain, then thread the nozzle back onto the igniter, reinstall the closure, and reinstall the retainer, all with the rocket on the pad. That is not convenient.

Fortunately, I don’t think I have an affected motor (have to check), but I’ve had other CTI motors with known problems that ended up having a fix-it-yourself solution. I don’t like that.

To me, it seems like a half measure that doesn’t work for all customers and is definitely inconvenient.

To get that ”free” igniter, you need convenient access to a CTI vendor. I fly a lot of CTI, but I don’t have a vendor that comes to my regular launches, so I buy most of it online. I don’t see an online vendor agreeing to ship me a replacement igniter for free. So the most likely solution would be that I would just pay the few bucks and buy a suitable igniter to solve the issue. I can eat that cost but it’s not great.

And while removing the pellet should be easy enough, using a dipped igniter in a long-burn motor is a pain, because typically the pyrogen will not pass through the throat of the nozzle and thread up through the grain. It’s too narrow on long burn motors. That’s why these motors are choking — the opening is to small to pass the little piece of residue. I don’t know about this particular motor, but that’s the case with other CTI long-burns I’ve used. If your club does not allow you to install igniters until the rocket is on the pad (mine doesn’), then my guess is you are going to have to load the rocket on the pad, remove the retainer, remove the closure, remove the nozzle, insert the igniter into the grain, then thread the nozzle back onto the igniter, reinstall the closure, and reinstall the retainer, all with the rocket on the pad. That is not convenient.

Fortunately, I don’t think I have an affected motor (have to check), but I’ve had other CTI motors with known problems that ended up having a fix-it-yourself solution. I don’t like that.
Simple solution to the problem, don't fly CTI

Back