Print Decals with Cricut machine For BIG BERTHA II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDrehmer

Reaction score
4187F9CD-901E-4AA8-BF7F-ABC5B6150440.jpegI build my “Big Bertha II“ about 20 years ago. But I had no decals for it.
My daughter bought a ”CRICUT” printer/cutter. It can cut out solid objects from shapes to letters.
So she made a decal for my Big Bertha II, a 37 in tall D-engine. I love to see it fly, and can’t wait to send it up with the new look.
If you use the “Permenant Vinyl” sticker material, you can make some nice graphics for your rocket. Maybe a crafter you know has a “Cricut” and would be willing to make decals for you.

EA2BBFCE-CA99-4D79-939B-E22032DB8598.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm just completing a scratch build not too different from yours. I guess great minds think alike.
I need to come up with some graphics for it. I'm not familiar with the Cricut, but might look into it.

You can do some really nice work with the Cricut Explore Air, Explore Air 2, and Cricut Maker once you get used to the web browser based design program they have. The Design Space program is sometimes tricky to work with for what should be pretty simple stuff, but on some more difficult stuff is pretty easy. Cricuts no longer require buying cartridges of designs and fonts, if you have it on your computer or device you can use them.
Arapahoe I 3" call graphics cut with Cricut, same for Orange Crush below that.
3inchAraphoeI pic 1.jpg
OrangeCrush7.jpg
V2 checkerboard and lettering cut as a paint mask, vinyl was removed, US Early WWII insignia is a waterslide decal printed on a inkjet printer.
20180506_165406.jpg
Four 3" Crayons with 29mm MMTs, all graphics done on my wifes Cricut Explore Air
T300 Crayons 29mmt.jpg
Madcow Cowabunga, again all vinyl (green and black) done on wifes Cricut Explore Air.
Cowabunga1.jpg

I keep trying to convince my wife to get one so I can use it. :)

Only problem with them that I've found: the sticky mats that you put the material down on are almost inconceivably stinky. Have others also found that? Someone at work brought theirs in for me to use for a quick job and that was the one thing that really floored me (almost literally).

Any different for Silhouettes?

Pretty impressive. I'm not just impressed with the graphics, I like your rocket designs too.
Getting the cow graphics on the nose cone must have taken some skill.

I keep trying to convince my wife to get one so I can use it. :)

Only problem with them that I've found: the sticky mats that you put the material down on are almost inconceivably stinky. Have others also found that? Someone at work brought theirs in for me to use for a quick job and that was the one thing that really floored me (almost literally).

Any different for Silhouettes?
Same things can be done with Silhouettes.

Pretty impressive. I'm not just impressed with the graphics, I like your rocket designs too.
Getting the cow graphics on the nose cone must have taken some skill.
Actually with a heat gun, vinyl can be persuaded to contour fairly well, so it wasn't all that bad.

Was thinking of making decals using the Testers White Decal sheets. Anyone here use the CRICUT to cut white decal sheets?

Back