Princeton University attempt at a suborbital space shot?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is kind of a strange question, but does anyone in the Spaceport America area have an AimXtra that they’re willing to lend to the Operation Space team?

I just got a phone call about this...

Commercial Q-motor? I thought the largest commercial motor was the O-motor.

Bob Clark

Commercial motors are available in larger sizes. For example, CTI supplies the S-motor for UP Aero.

Spaceport America requires universities to supply their own insurance and is exempt from nfpa.

I always mention to the university team I mentor to design for off-nominal, and have a plan B if something doesn't go right. Consider the amount of angst and grief that you are experiencing now and decide if your level of contingency parts (electronics) was appropriate, and is still appropriate for future launches. Learn from the problems and make sure they don't bite again.

[EDIT] Remember too that not having such a replacement part can also be a valid outcome of the planning, just make sure it is planned ;).

I commend your team with the short turn capability you are displaying. It shows you are very organised IMHO.

Last edited:
2nd launch for Operation Space was successful this morning. Altitude looked good, but I don't know the final report. Sustainer location was reported through telemetry but they hadn't recovered it yet when I left.

Q12K_1.png Q12K_3.png

I spent about 2 hours trying to locate the booster (from both attempts) and didn't find it. The ballistic recovery was planned. They performed great (10%Q14K). I wanted to see the how the hardware and insulation held up.

2nd launch for Operation Space was successful this morning. Altitude looked good, but I don't know the final report. Sustainer location was reported through telemetry but they hadn't recovered it yet when I left.

View attachment 384737 View attachment 384738

I spent about 2 hours trying to locate the booster (from both attempts) and didn't find it. The ballistic recovery was planned. They performed great (10%Q14K). I wanted to see the how the hardware and insulation held up.

Looks like your hardware did well John. Sure would like to see how it handled the burn.

Let us know if you locate them.

How were the fins attached to the casing?

Cool stuff!

Chuck C.

I have a book ("The Malpais Missiles") I purchased at the WSMR museum about the Nike Ajax. Army crews launched a whole bunch of those in that area and created a forest of spent boosters. "There are over 3,000 boosters here in Booster Alley." -pg. 60

Which was the one that almost started Armaggedon? Or was that Norway's?
The one that triggered the Ukrainian/Russian "incoming" detector was from the Andøya Rocket Range in Norway. I believe it was a Black Brant 12 with a payload from Cornell University.

View attachment 384737 View attachment 384738

This interview with team member Saad Mirza seems to suggest the first attempt on Friday didn’t launch:

Students attempt to launch self-built rocket
By Rozina Sini
BBC News 31 May 2019
This week Operation Space decamped to Spaceport America, a complex in the New Mexico desert. They had planned to launch the rocket on Thursday but after initial testing decided to postpone it a day.The projectile misfired on Friday, but the group's design leader, Saad Mirza, says that won't deter them from another attempt on Saturday."We lost a fin which is used to stabilise the rocket, so we are going to fix that and try again," he said."Whether it works or not tomorrow I am still proud of what we have achieved."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48439108

But this interview with NPR radio suggests there were two launches with the 2nd attempt on Saturday launching and the upper stage igniting but the upper stage fell apart:

College Students Take Hands-On Approach To Rocket Science
June 2, 20195:11 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered
A group of college students attempted to launch a rocket into space this weekend. NPR's Don Gonyea talks with Saad Mirza, the design lead of the project, Operation Space.
https://www.npr.org/player/embed/729115524/729120610
TRANSCRIPT
June 2, 20195:11 PM ET
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/02/729115524/college-students-take-hands-on-approach-to-rocket-science

Bob Clark

To clarify the news reports: Operation Space delayed one day then launched two 2-stage rockets, one on Friday morning and one on Saturday morning. Both 1st stage boosts were perfect. The first rocket most likely lost a fin on the second stage. The second one on Saturday had some coning on the second stage but worked well otherwise. They did not reach 100km but it went significantly high.

To clarify the news reports: Operation Space delayed one day then launched two 2-stage rockets, one on Friday morning and one on Saturday morning. Both 1st stage boosts were perfect. The first rocket most likely lost a fin on the second stage. The second one on Saturday had some coning on the second stage but worked well otherwise. They did not reach 100km but it went significantly high.

Thanks for that. USCRPL and Princeton didn’t succeed the first year they launched either. So there is good reason for optimism for next year.

Bob Clark

It would be cool if the team or the media would list all the things that went right, just to educate people. Did they really have no recovery devices on any of it though?

Thanks for that. USCRPL and Princeton didn’t succeed the first year they launched either. So there is good reason for optimism for next year.

Bob Clark

Is there any evidence that Princeton actually got to space? A flight where both stages lit doesn't automatically mean a spaceshot, and they haven't announced anything yet. I guess I will wait until they post data, but based on other similar rockets flown by amateurs, I will be very surprised if their data supports that they got to space.

I'm curious, there are 3 teams mentioned in this thread (I think; it's long thread), Princeton, USC-RPL, and Operation Space. Which of these teams had a previous Class 3 project over say, the last year? I'm primarily interested in their development and testing of staging and tracking.

I'm curious, there are 3 teams mentioned in this thread (I think; it's long thread), Princeton, USC-RPL, and Operation Space. Which of these teams had a previous Class 3 project over say, the last year? I'm primarily interested in their development and testing of staging and tracking.
USC-RPL: many years of experience with student-designed motors and systems.
Princeton: last year, no staging. This year, one staged and one did not. All commercial motors.
Operation Space: first year, one of two staged ok. Commercial, non-student motors.

OK, here's my opinion, and you probably saw this coming. And, there may be additional responses to my original question above. I think this doesn't take anything away from the successes given in this topic btw, because success was previously defined; student team reach 'space.' The criticism (can't think of a better word at the moment) that I have is that the path to this accomplishment is not very well defined. On this topic, I saw someone suggest that in order to "count" the rocket had to be successfully recovered. I like that. But, that's not the previously defined goal. Someone also asked, "so, what's next?" Good question. Duplication of the achievement? Personally, I think being the 2nd or 3rd, etc, is still impressive, but many people think "been there, done that," and we are rocket people; we tend to push the limits of what is possible. So, I think that success could be redefined, and it would be a good idea to do it. But, who's going to do that, and would there be a prize involved? I have no suggestions on who should do that. But, how about including things like, successful recovery, maintaining tracking, full data recovery, flight video, limit on the flight and recovery cylinder, de-spin at apogee, how about the ability to re-fly the rocket in 48 hours? Proving you could do it again is cool. Maybe redefining the altitude goal. With a more detailed definition of success, I think the path there would be more clearly defined. You can't do complicated things without testing and incremental successes. And, I bet that it would be a lot more challenging. The first teams to achieve the first success (reach space) might not be the first on this re-defined challenge to reach space.

Back