Primer Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWalks

Reaction score
If I am really lucky, this might be the dumbest question I ever ask, I doubt it but maybe. :)

I know you use different colors of primer depending on the color of paint you are going to use. White primer = white/yellow paint - Dark grey primer = black paint etc.

My question is more "what do you use when"

You are going to paint a rocket Red/white/blue for example: Do you use multiple colors of primer or just one color?

I would use just one color. Using white under those colors would probably yield slightly brighter colors although it may not even be noticable.

I have used all gray primer on a rocket which included black, red, and white paint and the results were just as I expected them to be.

I always use gray primer because it is easy to see where it covered since most body tubes are white or brown. I don't find it makes a difference in the top coat.

i havent ever primed a rocket... yet again ive never had a rocket ive cared obsessivly about... well... massivly obsessivly about...

I use Kilz primer for most everything. I overcoat with gray for black models.

Thanks for the replies. I have my first five rockets primered with grey and was thinking about a coat of white primer on the ones I wanted to do white. I plan to use Krylon and kept thinking that when I have used it in the past it is thick and shows no affects of whats under it. I think I will just go ahead and paint over the grey and see how it does on these.

Again thanks to all for the input.

I usually use the krylon brown primer.

am I the only one? LOL

works pretty good under light or dark colors and sands really well

TwoWalks:
Primer colors do indeed have a purpose, Grey, brown and black are usually the "base" primers with medium to large grain solids that help "build up" in scratches cracks and other imperfections in the surface, I usually start with black, then brown then grey if needed. This helps you tell how far into the primer you have sanded and helps when trying to fill in a dent or bad spot. Red oxide (very expensive) is a fine solids primer used as the 3rd coat where a suspect area may have lifted or need a close inspection before going to the finial primer/sandings. Or skip to any of the white primers which have the finest lightest solids. White Primers are used as the finial primers before your first color base coat to check for unseen blemishes during and after your finial sanding with 400-600 grit wet sandpaper.
A painters rule to remember: Paint hides NOTHING! if you can see it in the primer it will show up like a sore thumb after painting:D
Hope this helps

Originally posted by Micromister
TwoWalks:
A painters rule to remember: Paint hides NOTHING! if you can see it in the primer it will show up like a sore thumb after painting:D
Hope this helps

It does help. I make bows and have found the same thing. The deeper the clear finish gets, sanding marks look like they are being viewed through a magnifying glass.

What Moicro said is right on, except that Kilz, a white primer, is very heavy on the solids. Perhaps the heaviest of all.

Back