Primer finishing question(s)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I want to try something different on my next build. A lot times I use gloss white as the under coat prior over the gray primer prior to painting my top coat color. I was considering using white primer instead and spraying my top coat color.

Question #1 - Do you guys lightly sand the primer before spraying or just leave it. I know that primer isn’t that smooth when sprayed and was wondering how that affects the to coat paint? I know if you sand the primer too much you leave blotches and this will show when spraying the top coat especially if it’s a light color like yellow. Maybe using a scuff pad like a Scotch Bright might work well?

Question # 2 Right now I use Duplicolor HBP. The only colors they have are gray and red. I know they have a white primer and it's sandable. I was wondering have any of you used this primer before, if not what do you recommend?

Just looking for a good technique to follow.

I only lightly touch up primer if there’s any significant flaws otherwise I leave it.
I’ve used the white primer before but if your rocket is marked up with dark sharpie, it will bleed through.

primer may be sandable, how much depends on color, black and brown usually be sanded more/ harder than red or gray. white least of all.
Rex

After a couple of dozen rockets this is what I've settled on:

I use Rustoleum gray primer and once it's dry sand it lightly with 400-800 to remove roughness or imperfections, then wipe it down with a clean lint-free rag.

Then I use Rusto flat white to create a blank slate. Sometimes I'll lightly drag 800 sandpaper over any remaining rough spots.

Then I use a Rusto flat top coat. Masking and/or bling (glitter, metallic, etc.) as desired. After all that's dry I'll wipe it down with a clean lint-free rag to remove any loose debris.

Then I use numerous light clear coats to make it shine. The end-result won't win any perfection awards but it looks decent on the bench, and looks great out on the launch pad.

I quit using gloss paint because it has a greater tendency to run and it's not as toothy for subsequent coats.

Last edited:
I’ve used the white primer before but if your rocket is marked up with dark sharpie, it will bleed through.

Yes, that can be a frustrating problem with white primer. But what I do to eliminate the bleed is to perform a thorough wipe-down of the air frame with a 91% isopropyl alcohol-wetted paper towel. The alcohol dissolves virtually every trace of Sharpie ink, even from porous Blue Tube. It dries quickly and is ready for that white primer in minutes.

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

Depends on the finish I'm going after. If the top coat (not clear coat) has any texture...i.e metal flake, glitter, hammered metal look, etc...I don't worry about sanding the primer. Any other time, usually. It depends on how much of a hurry I am, vs how lazy I feel at the time.

I use a little more aggressive grit to get rid of major imperfections. 220 works better for me, although I am *very* careful with it to not sand completely through a base coat. I'll then follow up with the usual 400-800 to blend it all together.

Back