Pressurizing and Cooling liquid fuel rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi! I am 11, and I’m quarantined at home and bored. So, I started building an imaginary rocket! I’m not sure what thread to put this in, so if anyone wants to give me some advice on using this forum I’d be grateful.

This is my question: I had an idea, of using helium (does that even absorb a lot of heat? I thought of using my fuel (Rp1) as the regenerative cooling substance, but since I was going to use concoaxial swirl injectors, and no preburners and pumps, did not want to lose a lot of pressure) for regenerative cooling along the chamber walls and nozzle, and then use the expanded helium (because of the heat) to pressurize the tanks. But what I’m worried about is when the heated helum hits the LOX, the LOX would expand a LOT, and that’s good, but I’m worried that the pressure inside the tank would exceed the helium pressure in the lines, causing it to stop flowing. And THEN the whole helium cooling system would stop because the helium would have nowhere to go, and then the whole system would overheat and become a heaping pile of metal.

Does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this, and PRESSURISE THE TANKS (and cool the engine at the same time)?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Leo. Unfortunately, this subject is not really appropriate for this area of the forum and is likely to be restricted to the Research area. I’m not sure that the moderators would even permit discussion of an imaginary liquid-fueled rocket here. I’m sure someone with better knowledge of the forum’s protocols will respond soon.

Hi! I am 11, and I’m quarantined at home and bored. So, I started building an imaginary rocket! I’m not sure what thread to put this in, so if anyone wants to give me some advice on using this forum I’d be grateful.

This is my question: I had an idea, of using helium (does that even absorb a lot of heat? I thought of using my fuel (Rp1) as the regenerative cooling substance, but since I was going to use concoaxial swirl injectors, and no preburners and pumps, did not want to lose a lot of pressure) for regenerative cooling along the chamber walls and nozzle, and then use the expanded helium (because of the heat) to pressurize the tanks. But what I’m worried about is when the heated helum hits the LOX, the LOX would expand a LOT, and that’s good, but I’m worried that the pressure inside the tank would exceed the helium pressure in the lines, causing it to stop flowing. And THEN the whole helium cooling system would stop because the helium would have nowhere to go, and then the whole system would overheat and become a heaping pile of metal.

Does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this, and PRESSURISE THE TANKS (and cool the engine at the same time)?

Thanks!

Typically, this is an advanced topic and is not discussed on the open forum. Truly, liquid-fueled rockets are way too complicated for hobby rocketry. If you need more information, send me a conversation, but I am locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back