President: Humans to Mars by 2030

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waste of time and money. The moon and back would make so much more sense, LOTS more to learn long before we reach out to Mars.

In any case, it's what, like 1 mission package in 5 actually makes it to the surface intact and operational?

He should be the first to go...

How about right now...

Why wait for 2030...

He'll be gone one way or another by January. I won't say anything further since I don't want to be censured and I suggest anyone out there bite their lips and fingers like me. Kurt

Last edited:
Yes, we can!

[video=youtube;kwFvJog2dMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwFvJog2dMw[/video]

And the "news" is what exactly? NASA has had a plan for humans on Mars in the 2030s for quite a while... And Spacex has a plan for a decade earlier.

Mr. President, don't worry. We've got this. Sorry but you're no longer relevant. Day late and a dollar short.

And the "news" is what exactly? NASA has had a plan for humans on Mars in the 2030s for quite a while... And Spacex has a plan for a decade earlier.

Mr. President, don't worry. We've got this. Sorry but you're no longer relevant. Day late and a dollar short.

Nailed it. Right on.

I'll believe it when I see a budget for it.

I'm actually ambivalent about Mars first or Moon first. I've seen arguments both ways by people whose opinion I respect.

And to repeat, "No bucks, no Buck Rodgers".

The future is gonna be full of private companies attempting to go to Mars. NASA and the USA federal government will be falling behind. The more private companies that are involved the better. The more competition there is the better. For that matter it really doesn't matter which country makes it to mars in reality because it is for All Mankind. It is to push Humanity into the future. Sure do I want NASA to land on Mars yea but I dont think they will get there first. They will make it but may not be the first ones.

If you read the article, and not just the headline, it only devotes parts of 2 paragraphs to Mars. That's not what it's about, and it's definitely not about any new policies or goals relating to Mars. It's mostly a recap of space-, science-, and education-related achievements during the Obama administration and reiteration of future goals that have already been set.

At the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC, they have a really cool 3D movie about all the prep that's being done to get people to Mars. There will be a big, inflatable space station between here and Mars that will be used as housing/preparation/docking, etc. Sort of a mini-mission-control in space. Also, they are really working hard on space suits and rover technology. The coolest thing was that the space suits will be able to attach to the rear of the rover, and then the astronaut exits out of the back of it. Then, when he is ready to go EVA, he climbs into it and detaches. Pretty clever.

I'll believe it when I see a budget for it.

I'm actually ambivalent about Mars first or Moon first. I've seen arguments both ways by people whose opinion I respect.

And to repeat, "No bucks, no Buck Rodgers".

+ 1
Don't think it will ever happen. Not in our lifetime, without a significant solution to the logistics problem.
Well, maybe if China says they are on the way. Maybe then we'll be motivated.
But haven't been too impressed with their progress so far.

Last edited:
If you read the article, and not just the headline, it only devotes parts of 2 paragraphs to Mars. That's not what it's about, and it's definitely not about any new policies or goals relating to Mars. It's mostly a recap of space-, science-, and education-related achievements during the Obama administration and reiteration of future goals that have already been set.

Exactly!

So basically what I was saying. There's nothing new here. I read it as well. The goal of Mars was set before his time. The achievements were made by smart people working hard. Yet here he is, trying to take credit...

He needs to but out and let Congress keep the funds flowing to NASA at a reasonable rate.

Have you ever worked hard on a project at work, only to have someone who's barely envolved jump in at the last minute to give the presentation as if they're a key player?

Honestly though, how can we discuss the nuance of the CNN piece and its author but yet avoid the dreaded Politics topic?

As far as OUR future space program goes, the Moon first, then on to Mars. Forget that silly asteroid redirect distraction. I can see private enterprise missions eclipsing direct NASA or ESA missions in the not too distant future.

I put the odds of a Mars trip in this century at 50-50. No better.

"Private enterprise" will never do it -- preposterous. Not enough payoff, either direct or indirect.

And governments won't do it: it would take a pretty much ironclad commitment for 15-20 years and administrations change too frequently for that to happen. Hell, Nixon would have pulled the plug on Apollo if it had taken six more months to get there.

this is pretty much how every talk about going to mars goes-

A mineralizing thermostatic battery would cover all of power needs for at least 50 years before needing an electrode replacement.

Seed propagation on the other hand will be a challenge.

A mineralizing thermostatic battery would cover all of power needs for at least 50 years before needing an electrode replacement.

Seed propagation on the other hand will be a challenge.

Post a link on that? Only thing I could find was how to replace a battery in a thermostat!:point: It sounds interesting hence my desire to look it up. Kurt

Latest posts

Back