Presentation for Kids! NEED VIDEO SUGGESTIONS!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings all! In the past I have had much success presenting to kids (2nd-3rd graders) for annual teach-ins and career days. Next week (Wed. 6/16) Jason Toft (jetra2) and I are teaming up to do a 45-60 minunte presentation at a local public library for a small conference room filled with kids ranging from 8-13 years in age.

The presentation will begin with the awesome IMAX "The Dream is Alive" projected onto a large video canvas/screen. Luckily for us they have a great video and audio projection system. (Only the first 7 minutes will be shown.) Typically I tie careers and education into this short segment.

The rocketry portion will start out with a brief intro to the hobby with a tad of history thrown in followed by a short rocketry music video type of film.

Here's where we need your help - many of you have had the chance to evaluate the various rocketry DVDs that are out there (ie - Extreme's LDRS, NYPOWER, etc) and we really want to show them "the hobby" in a large way. Are there any good videos out there that have upbeat music combined with great footage of launches and crowds? We're looking for a good 3-5 minute (or longer!) segment of well produced footage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I would have to be able to place the order over the phone tomorrow and pay a little extra for fast shipping so that it arrives in time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

PS - This is where I am VERY angry with Discovery for NOT making "The Rocket Challenge" available. Boy would I love to show them some of that.

Thanks for posting this Eugene.

Yep. Just like he said, we're aiming at more of a "shock and awe" kinda presentation. We want to make them think our hobby is cool and exciting (which it is) and then make them think about how doing the work in school and in life, along with rocketry, will get them good jobs in aerospace-related industries. We feel that this video, with the music, will capture the shock value.

Thank you for whatever help ya'll can provide us with!

Jason

If you want to show them the Discovery Channel special how about the LDRS 22 video.
I have the tape (don't know if it is available in dvd format) and it is awesome!!!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Greetings all! In the past I have had much success presenting to kids (2nd-3rd graders) for annual teach-ins and career days. Next week (Wed. 6/16) Jason Toft (jetra2) and I are teaming up to do a 45-60 minunte presentation at a local public library for a small conference room filled with kids ranging from 8-13 years in age.

It's not about rocketry per se, but it's the single best video presentation on anything space related that I've ever seen.

Remember the computer animation shots of the current Mars mission, showing the launch, landing and rovers? One graduate student produced the whole thing himself, while on a summer internship. (He did so well that after graduation he started a computer graphics company, and was hired by PBS to add footage for their NOVA show on the mission).

The original version of the work is available only to K-12 educators. It has a soundtrack: Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away" for the launch/flight; Holst's "Mars" for the landing, and another electronic piece for the rovers on the surface. It is superb. It should get awards. Unfortunately due to copyright issues it can only be shown with the soundtrack intact in an educations setting.

The PR office at the center where they project is based (JPL?) can probably put you in touch with the right person. I had their email, but tossed it when it was clear I didn't qualify.

maybe i didn't understand it, but what i do, mainly to show off to my friends, is just make cheap movies off WMM and then add in blasting music and cheesy special effects...

that movie was insanely funny lmao...

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
Shock and Awe?

:D

Loud music and louder rockets

And a ton of fun.

Ah yes! I have seen this video! Very nice and very well done. I think younger kids might be traumatized by this video! :D I know there will be some adults present there. (ie - paranoid soccer moms) Perhaps they might consider it to be a bit renegade or dangerous? Either way, I'll keep this one in mind. :)

I did order Extreme Rocketry's LDRS 22. It shipped this afternoon. Hopefully it'll arrive in time.

Back