Preferences for Duct Tape brands?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use it a lot for hinges, finding a lot of variability. Reviews I have seen push the gorilla tape brand. Anybody have better ideas?

All I can say is Duck Brand duct tape is terrible stuff. I wouldn't even use it for what it's for, sealing ductwork... :p

"duck" tape got its name, not for sealing ducts, but for the cotton duck cloth was made from. "Duct Tape" is a mis-pronunciation.

Tape used to seal ducts are usually metallic.

All I can say is Duck Brand duct tape is terrible stuff. I wouldn't even use it for what it's for, sealing ductwork... :p

I read somewhere that said duct tape is good for a lot of things; however, one of the worst is sealing ducts. Personal experience confirms this; awful choice for that application. Plus, when you pull old stuff off the stench is awful. The glue from old duct tape smells awful after it has been on a duct for 10 or more years. It has a very sickly sweet smell that you won't forget for a long time no matter how hard you try.

As KarlS says, they now use metallic tapes for ductwork as that is what is in my new house.

Timely thread.

I ran out of this general kind of tape this weekend and bought some new tape at Lowes. Based on this thread I bought the Gorilla brand duct tape, and while I was at it I also bought some 3M branded stuff to see how they compare.

I got duct work sealed with the Nashua foil tape, that still seal perfect and look perfect even after 15 years.

For taping stuff down that I want to stay taped down, I use the Gorilla tape.

Have not had a roll of that common cheap duct tape anywhere near my house for a long time.

Gorilla also comes in 1 inch wide rolls that are super handy. I keep one in my camera bag. Duck brand tape is useful for different reasons. I find it is one of the thinnest "duct tapes" out there and is really good where conformability, weight, and thinness are factors.

Sheer grab-strength goes to mil-spec 100mph (Polyken 231) tape... That stuff is STICKY, though.

Gorilla also comes in 1 inch wide rolls that are super handy. I keep one in my camera bag. Duck brand tape is useful for different reasons. I find it is one of the thinnest "duct tapes" out there and is really good where conformability, weight, and thinness are factors.

Sheer grab-strength goes to mil-spec 100mph (Polyken 231) tape... That stuff is STICKY, though.

I didn't know about the thin rolls, will have find one. I am always ripping sections of the wide tape in half.

Yeah. Gaffer tape is usually matte in color, vinyl coated instead of plastic, and easier to remove. Gaffer tape is great for A/V work and general purpose temporary holding.

Gaffer's sticks ok, but generally peels up very easy, not cheap, at least for the good stuff.

Back