Predominant fleet colour?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
As I was putting some paint on a rocket, I thought: "This is likely the first rocket that is strictly all yellow"

So,. as I put t away, I looked over my fleet (~75 built) and noticed my dominant fleet colour is blue. (A set of BBZ obviously add to the colour shift!) Followed by three shades of purple. Grey & while round out the rest.

So, very few red & green.. one orange (Patriot) and one cream / "Antique white" (Seawolf) And, despite about 2 dozen cans of paint, they too are mostly blues & purples & whites..

SO, what colour does your fleet lean towards?

There's a definite smattering.

Blues, reds, blacks, whites, various other accenting colors. Each rocket gets a paint job as inspiration strikes, so the variation is wide

Everything seems to end up with at least a little bit of orange or red - sometimes just one fin or the nose cone - otherwise I suppose white is the dominant color, comes from growing up with the US space program I guess 😎

Predominant colors for me (in roughly descending order)
Black
Red
White
Blue
Green
Yellow

And the blue can be a little varied, some metallic, some solid. To change things up, I used some metallic orange on my Radial flyer.

Hmm, let's see:
1622731367942.png

Black and white seem to be the most common base colors.
Red and blue are next, and they are used heavily as secondary colors.
After that, there's some yellow, orange, silver, and cranberry.

I could definitely use some more color diversity in my collection. There is a conspicuous absence of green and purple, some other colors could use some more exposure. On the other hand, I always like to use up cans of paint before buying new colors, although accent colors often come from decals as well.

By far my most common color is white. I get the white primer/base coat on and then don't follow up, so I end up with white rockets. I like to say that I don't fly many rockets naked, but I fly a lot in their underwear.

After that, red. I try to mix things up, but I keep using more red than other colors.

I have all kinds of colors, yellows, reds, blues and greens, purples, silver and gold metallics, lots of white and black as well. I used to slap any colors I had on a kit, lately I've been going for actual kit colors as designed. Most of my Apollo fleet is naked or white- I guess I have time to finish those before the 55th Anniversary of the moon landing, but at the rate I'm going I'll never make it. :cheers:

My LPRs and MPRs are all over the place - most are painted to whatever the kit color was, so a lot of white and black in there. Since they mostly fly within visual range, I am more creative with that fleet of rockets.

For HPRs, I tend to paint them whatever colors will stand out compared to the green sod farm fields and brown dirt winter fields here on the east coast. That means a lot of fluorescent orange, yellow, red and green. I do have a couple dark/black HPRs and learned some hard lessons searching for them in the dirt of the Higgs Farm east of the ditch... or worse, in the ditch. I once had a black rocket there land with the payload bay submerged in the water in the ditch, so I could not hear the beeping. Took me two hours to find it and I must have passed within 10 feet of it at least 20 times. Spent the whole time cursing myself that I hadn't painted the thing day-glo orange.

I don't think I have 20 rockets but white is prominent because of my bigger ones: ARCAS, Saturn V, Decaffeinator, and few BB2s in a unique white display version.

Red, because a lot of my rockets are colored fiberglass, and it seems that red is the predominant color for that.

I've got a fair amount of blue, but also some black, orange, and red. I don't really have more space in my cabinet for more colors of spray paint until I use up what I have.

White is the predominate color. It's always white and something else though. After that it's the colors of the rainbow. I'm always looking for a new color. I painted one glitter, one with stone look paint. I call it Stoney Rock It. I'm painting one now with Rusto Colored Chrome, Red. Takes a lot of coats to build the color. I just finished one in Maze and Blue, Go Blue. [U of M]

4RuECMS.gif

I don't seem to have a predominant color, mine are all over the spectrum. Pink, brown, white, blue, black, purple, silver, red, orange, yellow, even fur.

White might be the most common...

1622816469446.png

1622816493518.png

Back