Predicting roll moment coefficients using RASAero

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilya

Reaction score
Looking for method\aeroprediction software to calculate roll moment coefficients of rocket with canted fins.

Here is my attempt
According to this work: https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a298617.pdf one can calculate roll moments coefficients using Cnalpha force coefficient. The idea of this method is presented at page 5. Cnalpha coefficient is the output of RASAero software so using RASAero I got Cnalpha for M829 projectile(test example from link above) for both body-alone-configurtion and four-fin configuration. Here is code in MATLAB
Code:
%m829
cal = 27.05e-3;
n = 6;
M = 5;
CNalpha = 11.313;
CNalphaBody = 3.7;

% %Basic finner
% cal = 20e-3;
% n = 4;
% M = 2.5;
% CNalpha = 10.44;
% CNalphaBody = 3.15;

CNalphaFin = (CNalpha - CNalphaBody)/2;
yc = .45*cal+cal/2;
Cldelta = n*CNalphaFin*yc/cal
Clp = -2.15*(yc/cal)*Cldelta
output
Code:
Cldelta =

Clp =

Using this method I got 2x difference for range value of Clalpha for M829, and 1.5x difference for basic finner.
The question is if algo from pdf file will work correct with values of Cnalpha from RASAero? Is there any difference in Cnalpha coefficient calculation with code fromRref 7?

Attachments

• tube_fins.CDX1
    2.8 KB · Views: 41
deleted for security
Is there any chance you can help me out with finding the equations on the paper? I'm an Aero student at Purdue in the Purdue Space Program and we are using RAS for our 6DOF. Currently having problems figuring out how to derive moment coefficients from the data that RAS gives. Any chance you can help?

Back