Praying for Waukesha...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How dreadful. Just what they didn't need. Good thoughts going out the injured.
Rex

Media is mostly silent it seems:
1637586091320-jpeg.1002823

His rap sheet is 49 pages long! What a fine upstanding citizen.
https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/DOJ-WORCS.pdf

I'd almost rather that they be silent until facts settle out; there has been far too much rushing to judgement among the media, going off half-cocked without facts, agitating, sensationalizing and lying for the ratings. The authorities have him; he will answer for it.
You're talking about the Kyle Rittenhouse arrest and trial aren't you?

Its hard to believe someone actually started a "GoFund Me" account for this guy? It was taken down immediately. Prayers to the family of the victims and may God heal them and help them over come what they are experiencing.

You need help dude.......
"I'd almost rather that they be silent until facts settle out; there has been far too much rushing to judgement among the media, going off half-cocked without facts, agitating, sensationalizing and lying for the ratings. The authorities have him; he will answer for it." This is the post that got the "Laughs" comment from me. When the media (and this forum) commented on the Kyle Rittenhouse situation, there was plenty of rushing to judgment, going half cocked without facts, agitating, sensationalizing and lying for ratings (and "likes") And while I'm not making a legal assessment, the difference Kyle Rittenhouse's case and this one is well, black and white.

I would point my finger at the Judge who let the dude out on bail when he hasn't been through trial for a previous felony.
He should have been maintained behind bars.
His demonstration of committing multiple felonies while out on bond for another is a clear indication that some new laws need to be put in place to keep these kinds of multiple offenders off the streets and behind bars and away for decent folks.

I would point my finger at the Judge who let the dude out on bail when he hasn't been through trial for a previous felony.
He should have been maintained behind bars.
His demonstration of committing multiple felonies while out on bond for another is a clear indication that some new laws need to be put in place to keep these kinds of multiple offenders off the streets and behind bars and away for decent folks.

LEGALLY, bail is set solely to guarantee the accused will show up at court appearances IF released from jail. It is NOT supposed to be set so high that a person cannot possibly get out, simply because people are "afraid" someone MIGHT commit a crime. If THAT were the standard... punishment/loss of liberty for potential FUTURE crime, we might as well use the Constitution as fire starter.

Furthermore, a number of states actually derive a financial benefit from setting bail or higher bail.... Higher the bail, the more revenue for the Judge and his court.
Unconscionable!

In my "day job," I more than just occasionally deal with folks who find themselves on the "wrong side" of the law. In my experience bail is paid by or on behalf of the defendant to insure that he or she will show up for the trial and not simply run away. When you show up like you are supposed to, the money is returned by the court. Only people who attempt to flee justice lose their bail money to the state, at least here in Illinois. And no, the state recognizes that things can happen to keep one from showing up in court. I know one person who was in the hospital with a broken hip who missed his court appearance. The defense attorney informed the judge of the situation, and the trial date was postponed with no penalty.

The defendant in the Waukesha case has apparently without viable excuse, failed to show up in the past to court when he was out on bail and lost his bail funds. That was again apparently not taken into account when bail was set early in November after he ran over the leg of the mother of one of his children with the same car that he drove into and then thru the parade.

Maybe other states do bail differently than we do here in Illinois, but here there is no financial benefit to either the judge or the court system when the person shows up like they are supposed to show up after posting bail with the court system.

So Clay, are you serious, in Louisiana, the courts make money off of bail? I'm curious, if the person out on bail shows up in court, how would that work to make the judge/court money off the deal?

Brad

So Clay, are you serious, in Louisiana, the courts make money off of bail? I'm curious, if the person out on bail shows up in court, how would that work to make the judge/court money off the deal?

Brad

1) Yes sir.... In Louisisana, the judges set bail so high usually, that NO ONE can post cash bond, so they HAVE to use a Bail Bond COMPANY/AGENT, who as you likely know charges 10% of the face amount of the bond as a NON-returnable fee.... So, IF you want out, you gotta pay... That money pays the insurance premium on his policy to insure your FULL bond, and the rest is his gross profit margin for running the business....

1a) There is also no guidance to amount as to crime, et al..... Case in point.... 54 year old female with ZERO criminal record, perfect credit, et al.... Charged with simple theft and computer theft..... $40,000 bond. Same Parish.... Man with extensive criminal record, charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.... $10,000 bond. Just one example...

2) In Louisiana, the STATE collects THREE (3) PERCENT of the FACE VALUE of the bond as a "fee".... For what I do not know, because they ALSO charge court costs, victims fees, and all kinds of other crap. That 3% funds the courts in that Parish.... BUT it is CLEAR that there is a FINANCIAL incentive to the State AND to the individual judges to set higher bail, so they can up their revenue to run their little kingdoms (court rooms), where they ROUTINELY violate both the Federal and State Constitutions with impunity.

3) Judges in Louisiana ROUTINELY take into consideration ALL KINDS of things OTHER than the risk that you won't appear in setting bail.

4) Judges in Louisiana ROUTINELY limit the Constitutional rights of those "out on bond" who have not been convicted of anything.... to include BARRING them from traveling outside the Parish, State, Country. Barring them from exercising their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Routinely bar you from consuming ANY alcohol, etc. etc. etc..... the list is long and sometimes VERY creative.

4) Judges in Louisiana ROUTINELY limit the Constitutional rights of those "out on bond" who have not been convicted of anything.... to include BARRING them from traveling outside the Parish, State, Country. Barring them from exercising their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Routinely bar you from consuming ANY alcohol, etc. etc. etc..... the list is long and sometimes VERY creative.

I would expect that some / all of these are expected for an offender out on bail.. His rights may be curtailed, but I'm sure the others in the vicinity / society would welcome the imposed limitations..

I would point my finger at the Judge who let the dude out on bail

I think the judge usually uses his/her judgement to set bail somewhere between what the prosecutor (who is supposed to be acting on behalf of the citizenry) asks, and what the defense attorney asks (which of course is as low as possible). The problem is, we have prosecuting attorneys across this nation who think it is their mission to 'reform the system', and act more like defense attorneys by asking for bail as low as possible. In the Blake case, despite this guy's history (which you noted), the prosecutor only asked for $1000 in bail. So I think there is more blame to be placed there than upon the judge.

I would expect that some / all of these are expected for an offender out on bail.. His rights may be curtailed, but I'm sure the others in the vicinity / society would welcome the imposed limitations..

Expected? You mean violating rights and inflicting punishment on the ACCUSED, not an "offender"....
Curtailed = TAKEN AWAY INDEFINITELY
What justice do you see in giving an accused "aggravated assault w/ deadly weapon" guy with a criminal history 1/4 the bail as a 54 year old woman charged with much lesser, NON-VIOLENT crimes who has NO RECORD WHATSOEVER, 4 times higher bail.

NONE.... the judge just saw a woman HE thought could swing the 13% cash payment to purchase her freedom from state imposed slavery.

BAIL IS A REVENUE RACKET in the State of Louisisana.

Remind me to be very careful the next time I visit Lousiana. (that's a joke in case you didn't catch it).

Seriously messed up legal system. I thought Illinois was bad.

Brad

1) Yes sir.... In Louisisana, the judges set bail so high usually, that NO ONE can post cash bond, so they HAVE to use a Bail Bond COMPANY/AGENT, who as you likely know charges 10% of the face amount of the bond as a NON-returnable fee.... So, IF you want out, you gotta pay... That money pays the insurance premium on his policy to insure your FULL bond, and the rest is his gross profit margin for running the business....

1a) There is also no guidance to amount as to crime, et al..... Case in point.... 54 year old female with ZERO criminal record, perfect credit, et al.... Charged with simple theft and computer theft..... $40,000 bond. Same Parish.... Man with extensive criminal record, charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.... $10,000 bond. Just one example...

2) In Louisiana, the STATE collects THREE (3) PERCENT of the FACE VALUE of the bond as a "fee".... For what I do not know, because they ALSO charge court costs, victims fees, and all kinds of other crap. That 3% funds the courts in that Parish.... BUT it is CLEAR that there is a FINANCIAL incentive to the State AND to the individual judges to set higher bail, so they can up their revenue to run their little kingdoms (court rooms), where they ROUTINELY violate both the Federal and State Constitutions with impunity.

3) Judges in Louisiana ROUTINELY take into consideration ALL KINDS of things OTHER than the risk that you won't appear in setting bail.

Ummmmm, Ahem. You must be in the legal profession or have gone through the system for that very erudite reply. I'm impressed though I come from a retired medical bent and have no idea of the twist and turns of our legal system. As the English would say of old, "Huzzzzzzaaaaahhh"
Kurt

Remind me to be very careful the next time I visit Lousiana. (that's a joke in case you didn't catch it).

Seriously messed up legal system. I thought Illinois was bad.

Brad

Yeah,
Am in Illinois. I try hard to be good and to not speed when driving. Have no issue here but I am aware the legal situation in the state can be a legal morass.
Kurt

Ummmmm, Ahem. You must be in the legal profession or have gone through the system for that very erudite reply. I'm impressed though I come from a retired medical bent and have no idea of the twist and turns of our legal system. As the English would say of old, "Huzzzzzzaaaaahhh"
Kurt

LOL!! No sir... Primarily an old soldier and then an IS/IT consultant for 25 years.... But I come from a politically engaged family, dad and grandfather were peace officers, I grew up sitting in a Texas District court with my Papaw (bailiff), and one of my undergrad pursuits was Political Science.

IAW.... Jack of all trades; master of none. ;)

BTW, as much as I gritch about Louisiana law, this state is pretty awesome overall.... If I can't live at home in Texas, LA is my home.... Though Arkansas is growing on me. :D

Back