Practicality/legality/safety for motor storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This may have been brought up before, but a few key questions I could use some insight on:

1) When APCP was still a regulated item, one needed a LEUP to buy most HPR motors, and a magazine to store them in. Now that APCP is no longer regulated, is the magazine a legal requirement in any way for motor storage?
2) Does the 50 lb limit still apply in any way? If so, is it only HPR motors the (ie Estes 1/2A-2 through AeroTech M2500) combined weight of all motors on hand?
3) Legalities aside, is having a magazine a good idea from a practical standpoint?

I understand that this is for informational use and that y'all be more like rocket scientists than lawyers in most cases:cool:.

I let my LEUP expire. When asked about my APCP purchase records, I stated that the court ruling was that the material should have never been classified as an explosive material and was therefore retroactively deregulated, negating the need for records. If I had logged in e-matches or BP into my magazine, I would have been required to provide those records when the LEUP expired.

Based on other inspection reports I have heard by rocket folks, if you have a LEUP and a magazine, what is in the official magazine should be logged just to keep an zealous inspector happy. Under 50 pounds would also be a good idea. Again, that's just inside your official magazine, AFAIK what ACPC and BP motors you have in totes stored elsewhere are not legally limited by Federal law.

John

This may have been brought up before, but a few key questions I could use some insight on:

1) When APCP was still a regulated item, one needed a LEUP to buy most HPR motors, and a magazine to store them in. Now that APCP is no longer regulated, is the magazine a legal requirement in any way for motor storage?

NFPA 1127 requires that motors/reloads exempt from ATF requirements be stored in a "closed non-combustible container" at least 25ft from smoking, open flames, and other sources of heat.

2) Does the 50 lb limit still apply in any way? If so, is it only HPR motors the (ie Estes 1/2A-2 through AeroTech M2500) combined weight of all motors on hand?

NFPA 1127 has never had limits on HPR motors/reloads that are exempt from ATF requirements. On the other hand, NFPA 1122 does have limits on model rocket motors. 50 pounds (net) at a residence and no more than 25 pounds (net) in the living quarters. 25 pounds is about 1,051 Estes C6 motors so shouldn't be a problem.

Visit the NFPA web site and read both NFPA 1122 and 1127 as there is a lot of detailed information there. Depending on where you live, these may have been adopted by local code. (The NAR web site is not a good guide as it has at least one error. Texas has never been a NFPA1/IFC state although some cities are.) If so, you are required to follow them. If not, it is still a good idea.

Thanks for the input fellas.

David - "NFPA 1127 has never had limits on HPR motors/reloads that are exempt from ATF requirements. On the other hand, NFPA 1122 does have limits on model rocket motors. 50 pounds (net) at a residence and no more than 25 pounds (net) in the living quarters. 25 pounds is about 1,051 Estes C6 motors so shouldn't be a problem." - Am I reading/understanding correctly that a person could have say 200 pounds of high power reloads laying about but only up to 50 pounds of "model rocket motors"?

When you ha(d)(ve) an explosives permit and were required to have a magazine, the amount of material stored in the magazine was specified in the magazine permit as was the location on the property.

The fact that APCP is not a regulated explosive does not mean you can automatically have an unlimited amount of APCP on you property. It is still classified as a class 1 explosive (but not regulated which means that you do not need a BATFE permit to have it). While magazine storage is not required, Your town, county or state may have storage limits on you property as it is still a hazardous material.

Some wag here once stated: "They are all stored safely under the baby's crib"..or words to that effect. So wrong, but laffed my ass off anyway!

Back