Pottery request. Anyone here a potter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a request for anyone that can fulfill it please. I'd pay, of course.

I'm trying to get a ceramic cookie jar, cube shaped, approx 6" sides.

The local pottery place told me that's a very difficult thing to make and since I didn't have any experience it would be impossible. Seems wrong, but I didn't want to waste money. If someone here can make one and ship be the bisque piece, I could paint it and have it glazed like I want.

Let me know if you, or a relative, friend, etc. throws clay and can help a fellow rocketeer please.

Again, I'll be happy to pay.

Used to throw on a wheel, many years ago.
Honestly, a cookie jar isnt that hard to make, and you should try yourself.
Start with something easier, like a mug or a vase, you want to practice forming the walls and feeling the thickness of the clay.
If you have a chance, watch an experienced potter throwing something similar, and then ask then if they would be an extra set of hands for yours. A lot of them will stand behind you and help (think of the film Ghost, but without the intimacy afterwards!)
Lids are easy.

If this is for you and your family, it will be a lot nicer memory and keepsake if you do it yourself, even if it looks like a "blind beggar on a galloping mule" made it... it would be yours from your hands!

The other option is to make a cube jar. Roll the clay and make squares about 1/4" thick. Form them into a open top cube like you are building a gingerbread house. The top is just another square with a blob on top.

Or make it out of Sculpy clay that you cook in the oven. Try to follow this, I will post a pic later.

Buy several colors that you like.

Make a pancake of each

Layer the pancakes

Roll into a cigar

Gently stretch the cigar then make it square in shape, now it is a big long rectangle.

Cut the rectangle into slices, they will be multi colored, square shaped 1/4" thick slices.

Stack the slices like logos to make the bottom and sides, then make the top separate, and bake.

It won't be perfectly square but will look really cool!

I don't know much about pottery, I have a few items I buy when I go to RenFest. But maybe:
Build a frame for your cookie jar, make it easy to disassemble and cover it with something nonstick.
Roll your clay out into a rope and then wrap it around your frame. With each wrap on top of the previous.
No idea if that will work, I know some things are made by rolling clay into a rope and coiling it on top of itself.

I appreciate all the tips on how to make one, but I'm trying to find someone that can make one for me that I can paint and have glazed for an Xmas present. There's not really time for me to practice and get good at it to make one.

If someone can make a cube shaped jar with a lid, fire it to bisque, and ship it to me within 2 weeks, please let me know.

DUDE! That sucks! My wheel and low fire kiln are in Utah with my tools and clay. I was just there visiting family! I totally would have slapped one together for you. Hell I would have made three sizes of the same! Many moons ago I apprenticed under a guy named Thanos Johnson in the mountains of Colorado on a Japanese hand wheel. I'm temporarily in an apartment right now without my stuff. Sorry guy.

I was just thinking...if you find the right someone to make it, a REALLY nice "cube" cookie jar is thrown on a wheel slapped four side flat with a trimmed round foot. Wheel thrown lid and pulled handle on top. Ooheee it'd be so sweet!

Last edited:
My goal is to have a Rubik's Cube cookie jar, that's why it needs to be cube shaped. I can paint it with the 6 colors of a Rubik's cube and the black edges around each square.

The lady at the pottery place I went to said the wet clay walls would flop down before the clay dried enough, so I'd need a way to support them. My idea was a cube support that the clay goes upside down on while drying. She even said it was beyond her skill level. There's a chance she was trying to get me to sign up for a class first, but ain't nobody got time for that. I need this before Xmas. :(

View attachment 306428

View attachment 306429

I obviously studied under no one...........

That is cool! Wow that is so so cool!
I like wedging out three types of clay, pinning them flat, laying them on top of each other, another light wedge then throw a pot out of it on the wheel. Its outcome is similar to your individual rolls except on a large pot with crazy spirals along the walls.

Your pot is freakin sweet! I may gently borrow your idea in the future.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can dig out some old business cards and pamphlets. Should have contact info for a potter there somewhere.

My goal is to have a Rubik's Cube cookie jar, that's why it needs to be cube shaped. I can paint it with the 6 colors of a Rubik's cube and the black edges around each square.

The lady at the pottery place I went to said the wet clay walls would flop down before the clay dried enough, so I'd need a way to support them. My idea was a cube support that the clay goes upside down on while drying. She even said it was beyond her skill level. There's a chance she was trying to get me to sign up for a class first, but ain't nobody got time for that. I need this before Xmas. :(

Uhmm the walls what? This lady does ceramics for a living?
No no no. Dude. If you tell the lady to pin the clay flat with an even thickness in the morning (8am) by time 2pm rolls around, cut out the walls with a pin tool, use a wire cutter to cut it from the table, score n slip the edges needed for contact, stick together. Voila.
If you build rockets a lid should be fairly straight forward.

I have some okay ceramics experience.
On a wheel, it's hard. Square peg in a round hole...
But easy with slab building.

I could make it at school, if the teachers let me use their clay (I'm not allowed to buy clay though them, government rules... But I might be able to make it next Monday-Friday after school. Tommorow I think the art teachers will be gone after school, and clay over the weekend will likely dry. Uncertain about 2 weeks, though. Things could pop up... for instance right now I have to finish a still life for youth art month which means afterschool time is taken.

Some notes:
One side will be textured unless otherwise specified, canvas like from the dropcloths we roll our clay on. I could probably use paper if smoothness is desired.
Slightly rounded edges, 1/4 inch max on each edge or so.
Cone 05 clay.
Costs will be for clay and shipping.
Need specification on handle. Shape and size.
1/8 inch walls or 1/4 inch walls? I would go for 1/4, but no more since 1/4 inch is the maximum... drying. Otherwise it could be damp in the middle and... BOOM!
Lid edge will be like this unless otherwise specified:
_____
|__....<--1/8 inch
.....|__<--1/8 inch
.^
1/4 (plus a little) inch

1/4 (minus a little) inch
.__
|...|
|...|

Also, the clay shrinks while firing. Could be a problem.

I could tell tell you how if you have the clay and stuff.

-Tony

Ooh! Sounds interesting!

About cutting with a pin tool: There are knife tools that are X-Acto blade thickness, tapered with a supersonic type of edge, and have a pokey 30 degree point. For cutting clay. They are enough for 1/2 inch or so cuts. I haven't tried using a pin tool, but it seems more effective to use a knife for a square. I'll try a pin tool if we do anything else with curves.

I can make ~1/16 inch grooves in the clay if you want. (For the squares)

You can slip and score when the clay slabs have dried a bit and are stiffer (leatherhard)
I don't think it needs a support. Then again, I don't think much at all.

Beyond her skill level? When it gets done, by whoever the lowest bidder/ best potter (probably the latter...) is, bring it to her and be like "how does it look?"

A cool thing, though not necessarily food safe, would be to crayon (yes you read right) the squares and watercolor the clay that remains exposed. Black or a multicolor wash, but (in my opinion) it can turn out beautiful.

Glaze flows. Be careful about that. It also sticks to kiln shelfs.

How much are you willing to pay? I don't know what the would be consitered fair. The clay itself will probably be under $10, shipping depends on packaging and fired weight.

-Tony

Last edited:
That is cool! Wow that is so so cool!
I like wedging out three types of clay, pinning them flat, laying them on top of each other, another light wedge then throw a pot out of it on the wheel. Its outcome is similar to your individual rolls except on a large pot with crazy spirals along the walls.

Your pot is freakin sweet! I may gently borrow your idea in the future.

And I may borrow both.

Unfortunately, we have the grey clay that fires white for making ceramics and the red clay for... making slip to give a weathered look to some things. Soak on a wash and scrub off with a big brush.

We made a similar thing to the that kind of pot when I helped out at a summer camp at my school, we used a pot underneath as our form and made clay buttons then slipped them together. I imagine it would look really good with the spirally clay.

I like it too.

How much are you willing to pay? I don't know what the would be consitered fair. The clay itself will probably be under $10, shipping depends on packaging and fired weight.

-Tony
How much would you charge? I'd pay for materials plus the time it takes you to do it. PM me what you would accept and I'm sure I'll be okay with it.

And I may borrow both.

Unfortunately, we have the grey clay that fires white for making ceramics and the red clay for... making slip to give a weathered look to some things. Soak on a wash and scrub off with a big brush.

We made a similar thing to the that kind of pot when I helped out at a summer camp at my school, we used a pot underneath as our form and made clay buttons then slipped them together. I imagine it would look really good with the spirally clay.

I like it too.

Sounds like soldate 60 and an iron red of sorts. If you can get your hands on porcelain you are in for a ride. It's like working with cream cheese.
Iron clay and porcelain are sweet for the spiral. Soldate is white but not like porcelain.
Not sure how old you are or what grade you are in but definitely find out about raku, wood and salt firing. If pottery is your thing...oh and horse hair is freakin sweet to make a pot look broken during firing to cone 11!

I hope Mushtang finds what he is looking for.

Last edited:
Sounds like soldate 60 and an iron red of sorts. If you can get your hands on porcelain you are in for a ride. It's like working with cream cheese.
Iron clay and porcelain are sweet for the spiral. Soldate is white but not like porcelain.
Not sure how old you are or what grade you are in but definitely find out about raku, wood and salt firing. If pottery is your thing...oh and horse hair is freakin sweet to make a pot look broken during firing to cone 11!

I hope Mushtang finds what he is looking for.

I think we get our clay here.

This is the clay we use.

8th Grade. 3D Art, in our High School (I think there is a Ceramics class) we do the other kinds of firing I think. I like pottery but am probably leaning towards STEM, possibly STEAM. (A stands for Art.

I am lucky attend a school that actually has an art budget.

-Tony

The analogy to working with cream cheese... There's an certain image in my mind now and I'm getting the have to laugh feeling...

We have an Anagama kiln at work, it is pretty awesome to see get fired.

I'm throwing Saturday but I have not done any slab building. Anyway, where I go I'd never get it fired in time for Christmas. The greenware shelves were already busting at the seems last week with Christmas stuff.

Not to be negative, but what are the odds of any delicate clay item surviving the last minute Christmas shipping rush with any of the major shippers?

Not to be negative, but what are the odds of any delicate clay item surviving the last minute Christmas shipping rush with any of the major shippers?
Probably zero for delicate clay. But the person doing this for me is going to fire it into bisque (the white ceramic that is no longer mushy), and wrapping it with bubble wrap in the shipping box. Bisque is still fragile but not like clay. Hopefully that will be enough to get it to me safe.

Ooh! Sounds interesting!Beyond her skill level? When it gets done, by whoever the lowest bidder/ best potter (probably the latter...) is, bring it to her and be like "how does it look?"

Incongruent has come through for me!! He made this and it's currently drying, hoping to be fired in his kiln on Monday. I should get it late next week which gives me a week to paint it and have it glazed at a local pottery place. I'll find a ceramic knob at the hardware store and paint that middle square the same color I think. I'm sure I can find a usable knob in one of the standard Rubik's Cube colors. I'll post pictures of the finished cookie jar.

I'm VERY happy with this!! It's way better than I could have done and I'll make sure to ask the girl that told me this couldn't be done how she likes it.

Thanks Tony!!

Cookie Cube 01.jpg

Also, do you want grid lines carved into the bottom as well?
I didn't do them, however, if you want them I can add it on Monday. The greenware can be scraped down, (carefully) it's basically a delicate mud brick.

Also, the lines were the hardest part for me.
I tried to shape them to be rounded in realistically, so lots of smoothing and carving later I ended up with some crooked gouges.

I hadn't been following this thread... Until I thought that someone was looking to create one of those ceramic blast deflectors. I'm glad I looked, even though I was wrong.

Nice job Tony! I hope the recipient enjoys it (and doesn't accidentally break it then have to glue it back together trying to solve it). :wink:

Back