Potentially Dumb Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAR29996

Reaction score
Is there any reason why a Quest B6-4 would NOT work as an upper stage motor? My sense is that it would be fine, but I want to be sure.

The trouble is that the delay would likely, in many if not most cases, be way too short.

As long as it has the correct delay for your usage, I don't see a problem.

For maximum altitude most upper stage motors have the longest delay. There is no reason why you can't or shouldn't try the Quest B6-4 in an upper stage.

Absolutely NOT a dumb question. :cool:

Another hint... many folks use the Estes catalog with the Engine charts and thrust curves as a learning tool and reference guide - Even folks that have been flying for a lifetime

If it's a draggy rocket that may be OK, otherwise delay is likely too short. Basically, if the top stage would work on its own with a B6-2, then a B6-4 would have a decent chance of working in two-stage config. If it's an Estes model then you should have their motor recommendations to guide you. What rocket is it?

OR suggests that the B6-4 is the best choice for this rocket (Estes Magnum) for the upper stage. I was mostly wondering if the Quest motor can be lit by the lower stage motor.

OR suggests that the B6-4 is the best choice for this rocket (Estes Magnum) for the upper stage. I was mostly wondering if the Quest motor can be lit by the lower stage motor.

There at least two rockets that I'm aware of that are called Magnum. I'm presuming that you are referring to the Estes Magnum Payloader (2032/1422)

25847370174_5f3e1d6d93_o.png

Just mentioning the classic Estes Magnum always gets K'Tesh and me excited.

I flew plenty of Estes B6-4's in my old one before a CATO that forced me to rebuild the booster and sustainer to run on 29 mm and 24 mm motors. I'm sure the Quest B6-4 won't be a problem.

IMG_0925.jpg

Last edited:

IIRC, the Chinese-made Quest B6's have a pretty small nozzle diameter. (I'm at work and can't verify that right now.) It may be tougher to get one to stage reliably. The older, German-made ones are probably OK.

If the sim sez a -4 is good, I would use it. I bet the Quest motors will work as an upper stage.

Back