Potential new launch site! Yay!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
One of my dads employees has 20 acres of open field and he is proabably going to let me use it for rockets! Its only 5 minutes from our house, and there is enough room for some serious flying there, by the sounds of it! Does anyone know the acreage of the CMASS field? Do you guys think there is enough room for an E? How many acres are in one soccer field? THis is so cool... Now all i need is some PVC for a better launch pad, and a good 12V launch controller! I cant wait....

Neil

The CMASS Amesbury launch site is about 300 contiguous acres with a couple hundred more on the otherside if the road.

If your 20 acre field is round, the diameter is about 1050 ft. If it is square its about 930 ft on a side. It's on the edge for E-G motors. A better way to look at it is that a practical max altitude for a no wind day is 2 times the field diameter or 2000 ft. In a 5 mph wind = 1000 ft; 10 mph wind = 500 ft; and 20 mph wind = 250 ft to insure an on-field recovery for a straight up flight from midfield. Moving the launcher a bit off center might buy you an extra 10-20% on a windy day, but don't push it if you want your rocket back.

A soccer field is about an acre more or less.

Bob Krech

Well OK, its not as big as I had origionnaly hoped, but it is still a lot better than what I am using right now! I can always fly flying saucers............ I gotta get one of those 29MM saucers so I can try flying one on a G64! The landowner sure would get a kick out of THAT! He and all his neighbors like rockets, and that makes it a LOT better.... And they dont have hay growing on the field like CMASS does! They actually dont use it for anything at all... Waste a 20 good acres if you ask me, but it certainly benifits rocketeers!

My old field was a complex of 4 soccer fields. about 4-6 acres. and the neighbors are a lot better.

Back