Potato Cannon fun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
I've just got round to building a small beginer like Potato Cannon that uses Hairspray or Butane to propel a chunk of potato out of the barrel.
Ohh and of course , heres some pictures ;)
Karl

Next picture , boy , if this is your first time fireing a Potato Cannon , and it has a tank full of gas , text doesen't do justice for the recoil ;) This picture is of the ignitor , the same that are in cookers or electric lighers.
Karl

potato cannon hmmmm im intrigued. please post how to make one

Well lets start off with a parts list , you will need :

1 32mm Bottle Trap ( For sinks & washing mashines )

1 x 32mm dia , 1/2 - 2ft legnth of PVC pipe

2 x Tins of Hairspray ( Butane should work better but I haven't tried it )

1 x Electric Ligher ( Dismantle to recieve the electric Ignitor.

1x BIG bag of cheapo potatos.

When you purchase the Trap unit there is a large tube inside that needs to be cut down.
Karl

Then a hole has to be drilled through the Trap unit and through the tube you just cut . Then another next to it for the other ignitor wire.
Karl

And a block to seal the oposite opening of the Trap unit. ( Purchaseable from B&Q)
Karl

Then you should now how it goes together . The ignitor ends need to be only a couple of mm's apart for them to create enough of a spark to ignite the gas.
Karl

I've toyed with a few cannons myself ,,,one in particular was quite potent..!!

a little warning should be made tho

make sure that potato cannons are not illegal in your state

I know some are

Sure it's fun, until someone gets julianned or wedge cut!!

JoJo,
Potato cannons sound like a lot of fun, but trust me, it isnt worth it to end up in a cop crusier being driven to your parents house. The way laws are written, things like patato cannons, illegal fire works, and even those water ballon launchers will make you sound like a terroist. Some things seem like kid stuff when you do it, but when it's put on "paper" it's another story.

Originally posted by nomopbo
JoJo,
Potato cannons sound like a lot of fun, but trust me, it isnt worth it to end up in a cop crusier being driven to your parents house. The way laws are written, things like patato cannons, illegal fire works, and even those water ballon launchers will make you sound like a terroist. Some things seem like kid stuff when you do it, but when it's put on "paper" it's another story.

Yes, a whole generation will not be exposed to the basic concepts of science. They won't learn skills you pick up in shop class. Most kids that fool with stuff like this are pretty bright anyway and truly learn from designing and building things like potato cannons, rockets, R/C planes. So many hobbies are banned by uninformed and frightened parents that don't realize they are actually stifling their children's opportunities to learn in a hands on way.

Ok, looking up laws pertaining to a potato cannon in Ks, can't find any, maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing??? Would it be classified as a firearm?

my buddy has a scooter with a potato cannon that mounts on it. he had been riding this thing around portland oregon for years. he had been pulled over a number times and once he tells them it is a potato cannon, and shows paper work stating so, they send him on his way.

....here's a picture:

small_PICT0078.JPG

Originally posted by shrox
Yes, a whole generation will not be exposed to the basic concepts of science. They won't learn skills you pick up in shop class. Most kids that fool with stuff like this are pretty bright anyway and truly learn from designing and building things like potato cannons, rockets, R/C planes. So many hobbies are banned by uninformed and frightened parents that don't realize they are actually stifling their children's opportunities to learn in a hands on way.

Yep, I agree. Unfortunatly if you hit the wrong person or persons property, and they call... you know the rest.... destruction of property, assult with a deadly projectile patato.

Kids can get hurt exploring the basic concepts of science. I had an expirement blow up in my face when I was 14 years old. I was VERY lucky. I was at home alone.

If you play with rockets, and follow the rules, you probably have good common sense. Dont shoot the thing off your balcony in the middle of your neighborhood.

Back