Posting pictures: thumbnails vs. full sized

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lately I've gotten in the habit of expending extra effort to post full-sized pictures instead of thumbnails with links to the full-sized versions. This comes from a somewhat embarrassing selfish desire to ensure that folks really see what trying to show. When I post from the mobile app, it does this automatically, but when doing it from a browser it'll inject the thumbnails by default.

Mind you, I don't always do this (sometimes it's clearly not appropriate) but I seem to be doing it pretty often, particularly in build threads.

Does anyone find this to be objectionable? No one has complained to me about it, but I don't want to be "that guy".

I prefer the larger photos. In the interest of efficiency, it makes it easier to see the details as I'm scrolling through.

I prefer the full sized version as long as it isn't so big that it won't fit on screen. I usually aim for 620ish being my larger dimension, occasionally 800 if more detail is warranted. I post in from Flikr though because I got in the habit when the site went glitchy for awhile last year. In general if you are contributing, particularly actual rocket stuff, to the community don't worry that someone doesn't prefer your desired format.

I prefer the full sized version as long as it isn't so big that it won't fit on screen. I usually aim for 620ish being my larger dimension, occasionally 800 if more detail is warranted. I post in from Flikr though because I got in the habit when the site went glitchy for awhile last year. In general if you are contributing, particularly actual rocket stuff, to the community don't worry that someone doesn't prefer your desired format.
I agree, if you're contributing, do it whichever way you think best and don't worry.

I typically will post my images to flickr, then bring them over here. I have a number of different sizes to choose from. However, I typically like to keep my images sized so that they can be completely seen without scrolling. If someone wants to view a monster sized scan, they can do that on the flickr page.

Good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't silently pissing people off. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm sure you're pissing someone off. It is the internet, after all. I figure if someone has a problem with something trivial like photo size and they can't figure out how to scroll past, that's their problem.

I'd rather post full size images, but I just can't seem to do it from my iPad. Every time I try, I get as far as touching the upload file button, and nothing happens. Seems the only way I can post pics from the iPad is through Manage Attachments in Advanced.

:confused:

If you want to attach pictures, use the app and you will accomplish your task quickly and efficiently. That's all I'm saying. It's also far superior for reading the forums in general. Even if you're web surfing other sites with Safari, it's not exactly a chore to switch to the dedicated app when accessing TRF.

Obviously, you're free to do as you prefer, but I would urge you to try working with the app before you dismiss it.

I have. A lot of forums have their own apps....plus there's things like Tapatalk....a lot of apps are based on it as well.

I like big pictures, but if they stretch the screen sideways so I have to scroll sideways to read text, it can get annoying.

I like big pictures, but if they stretch the screen sideways so I have to scroll sideways to read text, it can get annoying.

That right there is the trick.

(a) I don't know how big your screen or your window is
(b) If I resize my pictures small enough to ensure that a least-common-denominator window size will not have to scroll sideways, then I also eliminate the ability to get a really big version of the image. I generally am disappointed when I click on a thumbnail and the full-sized image is still small.

No way to win, really.

This is, by the way, another advantage of using the mobile app. There is no horizontal scrolling, ever; images and text are always displayed to fit the screen; you can zoom images if desired. In this one regard it's much superior to the web browser experience.

Back