Postal Uber-surveillance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
Do the Feds pick out certain people or companies for postal surveillance? Just about every package that I send or expect to receive has a delay of at least 2 to 3 days, sometimes 5 days:

The kits I sent.

The DVD I was waiting for.

Anything from Apogee.

Any box or padded envelope.

What is up? Anybody else experiencing delays like this? I have posted on some of the discussion boards about how upset I am over the recent murders of hostages by Al Queda. Think that might by why all our large mail is so slow? Sometimes I can't access my webpage server as well, then it is fine. Who's watching me?

shrox

i have an arab last name, so when we order anything its always a few days late... rockets can sometimes be 3 or 4 days late...

also, many times we will have notes written (especially when we travel) saying that our luggage or mail had been inspected...

From Apogee, I can *almost* see why they might want to see whats in it... In the Apogee catalog, they say that the feds will come a knocking on your door if you order a certain design program (Splash, I think...), because it is so accurate it could theoretically be used to "lob bombs across large distances" or something like that... So they might just want to make sure that you arnt actually buying anything thats really dangerous if it ended up in the wrong hands. And, if you order from Apogee a lot, they could watch everything else coming in/out of your mail just because when you order from Apogee, since it raises a red flag (due to the fact that they sell very accurate software), and then they watch everything else.

Just a theory... im sure there are others... It is a little annoying, and confusing, though.:rolleyes: :kill:

Lately, any packages I send to Canada seem to take about 21 days to deliver. Most of that time is spent waiting to clear customs. On the other hand, packages I send to England only take about 5 days.

I just recieved a kit today that was mailed on the 12th. I also recieved another kit that was sent on the 24th.

Originally posted by shrox
Do the Feds pick out certain people or companies for postal surveillance? Just about every package that I send or expect to receive has a delay of at least 2 to 3 days, sometimes 5 days:

Yes.

Same thing happens to people who buy medications from overseas, despite the 1989 "AIDS Law" that allows them to buy anything they can get a prescription for. Things that the FDA doesn't want sold, such as nootropics and L-tryptophan, often get confiscated for months or forever. These people often have mail opened even if it's not obviously medicines, just in case.

I have an APO (Military) address. The APO is in New York. When you mail to an APO, it is no different then mailing to any other US location, although the final destination is overseas.

I have been ordering motors (A - E) via ground mail for over 5 years with no problems. Ground mail for me means by boat and it would take up to 90 days for delivery, but at least I could get what I ordered.

All of a sudden, my regular vendors refused to ship any kind of motors to an APO anymore. Although my local Post office had not heard of any changes, the stateside offices said there was. I have repeatedly asked USPS for clarification, but have received nothing. Motors on the local economy are about twice as expensive as in the US - when you can find them. It is frustrating that the Post office will not support those folks who have no choice as to where they work. I just wonder if they are planning to halt all motor shipments down the road.

Not too long ago I tried to ship some kits to an APO address. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops on that particular shipment. I was told that there is extra security on any packages going to APO addresses since 9-11.

I had to fill out a customs form for an APO.

shrox

You always do, it's standard policy.

On the package I mentioned earlier, I had to fill it out 3 times before the post office would accept it.

Certainly there is cause for concern... especially in light of current world events...

I think it's simply a case of commerce as a whole being somewhat slower as of late... They all ask that we be vigilant, and carefull...
and I believe that is what's happening on most all levels... not just rocketry, and not just delivery systems (ie:UPS. FedX, US Mail etc)...

It does bring up the old saying though...

"Just because you're Paranoid... doesn't mean they're not out to get you"...!!!

LOL...!!!
Steward

I've mailed out my AIM-47A kits to Canada and to APO addresses.

Both places need the Customs Form filled out.
I filled it as "model rocket kit, contents balsa and paper"

The postal employee inquired about "any motors?" and
seemed satisfied that it is simply a "kit" valued at $40.

You can't ship priority packages to Canada, and they don't accept triangle shaped boxes for air shipment. Had to repack in a different box that didn't exceed 36" total for length plus width plus height box dimensions for best first class rate.

The APO didn't matter. Heavier than 2 lbs goes by distance rates.

All packages arrived undamaged in the NORMAL 2-3 day time period.

I would guess that ALL mail is being screened due to the holiday approaching than anything else.

I'm still waiting for an ebay purchase from June 8 to arrive using plain old first class manila envelope mail. Three weeks seems a bit excessive. Its a small $$$ amount, so I'm willing to wait a bit longer.

I'd worry about my SHX-15B as well, but I'm betting that SHROX isn't the kind of person that would ever think of doing something like that.

Any APOGEE orders always seem to arrive in the 2-3 days frame.

Must be a left-coast thing?????

CTimm

I had been ordering motors for over 5 years - both before and after 9/11 with no problems. In fact, I ordered motors as late as March of this year with no problem. Customs forms were always a requirement since final destination is overseas and customs on a rare occasion will open a package to verify contents, but to date, I have never had a problem.

Now, with this mysterious "reg change" that no one at USPS can show me and that no one here at the post office has heard about, 6 vendors have now told me the same thing, no more motor shipments to an APO address - per their post office. Now, if one of you out there sell motors (A-G) and your post office says it's OK with them, PM me and you will get a rather large motor order!

Originally posted by Neil
From Apogee, I can *almost* see why they might want to see whats in it... In the Apogee catalog, they say that the feds will come a knocking on your door if you order a certain design program (Splash, I think...), because it is so accurate it could theoretically be used to "lob bombs across large distances" or something like that... So they might just want to make sure that you arnt actually buying anything thats really dangerous if it ended up in the wrong hands. And, if you order from Apogee a lot, they could watch everything else coming in/out of your mail just because when you order from Apogee, since it raises a red flag (due to the fact that they sell very accurate software), and then they watch everything else.

Just a theory... im sure there are others... It is a little annoying, and confusing, though.:rolleyes: :kill:

A'yup:

Finally, because of the accuracy of Splash™ software and that it could potentially be used by terrorists to lob bombs across vast distances, at this time we can only offer it to citizens of the United States of America. Please be aware that you may be contacted by a representative of the US Government concerning your intentions for using the software.

makes me kinda want it.

Whys it make you want it? Its for space-shots, Blue... I dont think you need it quite yet... :D :D ;) It says if your not going over 20,000', your better off with rsim. :rolleyes:

I had to fill out a customs form for an APO.

shrox

Yep...most times you do...at least I do. They told me because they don't always know if it's going overseas or not. I havn't had to much trouble with delays as much as stuff that just vanishes. Four packages in as many months wiht one pending as we speak. I got all but one back and that one DID NOT have delivery confirmation. Go Figure.

Latest posts

Back