Post your Just off the Bench and Ready for Flight Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
So, I have been wanting to do do this for some time! So here it is.....You just finished your new project....and it is ready for flight. You sit back and enjoy you new rocket BEFORE you scratch it on the way to the launch (me) or gouge out paint while putting it on the rail for the first time (ME!) or bang it into a wall on the way to the car (ME!)...you get the idea. So post a photo of your "Shinny New Rocket" as it comes "off the bench" for the first time!! Also Do NOT worry EVERY finish is a perfect finish! This is a perfect place to "come as you are" (your rocket that is!). So post your photo of your new "ride to the sky" man!!

Big or small....when it comes to rockets....we love them all!

To start it off. THIS is an Estes Screamer clone scaled up to a BT20 size. The Screamer was the first rocket I remember building as a kid. I DO remember actually trying to paint it BEFORE the paint dried (silly kid!). I thought it would be fun to build this and put it on my book shelf (after a flight or two) and remember the "old days". Thanks again to Bruce (Teflonrocketry1) for the great decals!

IMG_1806.JPG IMG_1805.JPG

Last edited:
So, I have been wanting to do do this for some time! So here it is.....You just finished your new project....and it is ready for flight. You sit back and enjoy you new rocket BEFORE you scratch it on the way to the launch (me) or gouge out paint while putting it on the rail for the first time (ME!) or bang it into a wall on the way to the car (ME!)...you get the idea. So post a photo of your "Shinny New Rocket" as it comes "off the bench" for the first time!! Also Do NOT worry EVERY finish is a perfect finish! This is a perfect place to "come as you are" (your rocket that is!). So post your photo of your new "ride to the sky" man!!

Big or small....when it comes to rockets....we love them all!

To start it off. THIS is an Estes Screamer clone scaled up to a BT20 size. The Screamer was the first rocket I remember building as a kid. I DO remember actually trying to paint it BEFORE the paint dried (silly kid!). I thought it would be fun to build this and put it on my book shelf (after a flight or two) and remember the "old days". Thanks again to Bruce (Teflonrocketry1) for the great decals!

View attachment 373026 View attachment 373027

The Screamer mini-Brute (BT5 scale) was my first rocket too; at camp I signed up for model rocketry at age 10, and was hooked. I've got several scales. Love your paint color! Screamer Family 00001.jpg

Say, I would like to change the name of this thread to... Post your Just off the Bench and Ready for Flight Photos!! I have been trying to find out how....anyone who can tell me?
It seems like folks don't want to show off their new projects? I thought this thread would get people sharing their projects more. Come on folks don't you all build in the Winter??

Marc!!! It love your Screamers! I never thought to upscale mine even more.....looks cool!
Andrew

Say!!!! Thanks Tim!
Got any photos of a recent project?

There are already galleries for rockets, build threads, and the whatd you do today thread where folks post rockets, so it's easy to overlook a new thread.

I'll play along though.
The School'd Rocket is a 3" BMS School Rocket with rail buttons, 1/32 basswood skins over the stock balsa fins, and the tabs have been extended to the motor mount as well. It's built for flying on the D12 to the G145

20190129_220942.jpg 20190129_221210.jpg

9AA0DD69-8CDC-4EEE-A16B-0463C9E7DBDF.jpeg B976683B-96BD-45CE-92DC-32063148A23A.jpeg 2ADFED27-442B-4846-A1B5-2E1EB57B8035.jpeg 781BD704-7E50-43EB-9960-F4D341938BF5.jpeg B1C894D8-1559-4340-BCC2-2960E7811105.jpeg 0C2621F0-B690-43C0-98D0-D0E1AAA00495.jpeg 13824E3C-75D4-4C7A-A46D-F1D3BF88A94B.jpeg F3B38487-5D43-472F-9683-CA57D46F75A0.jpeg F8E35CB6-00B6-40D4-ADC8-96CA318F3D01.jpeg 7D7B1C09-7B54-46C9-8106-9E70DF5F63FA.jpeg These are all builds from last year but pics taken as they were just about finished. Some still even have the dowel I use to hold them for painting still in the engine mount. And yes that’s three different Nike Smokes.

F989B0FF-A6CF-453F-AADF-ABD628767BB8.jpeg

Not original, cloned with SEMROC parts, and a 3D printed fin can. Decals are home made ink jet water slide paper on top of metallic Trim Monokote.

Last edited:
No rocket painting for me until it's at least 65 degrees in the garage. So I won't have anything new to show off until spring.

View attachment 373342

Not original, cloned with SEMROC parts, and a 3D printed fin can. Decals are home made ink jet water slide paper on top of metallic Trim Monokote.

Hey Glen-I really like that decal in the middle...I like official "identification/information plate" type decals. Someday I will have sticker shock make me some for my larger rockets. This clone is very cool indeed.

I lovin all the rocket photos. BTW: Nathan, before I had my friend's place to paint at, I was able to paint in the winter. If it was not snowing or windy, I warmed everything up and went outside to quickly paint my rocket - then ran back indoors and set it to dry. It was a little stinky but you can do it (small one are easy). Especially if you are spraying lacquers like Krylon. As long as your house is not to humid and you dont stay outside too long - It can be done. I have painted most of my rockets this way. Just dont stay out too long so the rocket actually gets cold...if you, do it will condense moisture when you bring it in. Paint actually dries fast and great inthe winter (inside) because the air is dry. Unless you are say....boiling lots of pasta at the time and the air is damp inside your house....Either way, winter painting is possible.
Andrew

View attachment 373331 View attachment 373332 View attachment 373333 View attachment 373334 View attachment 373335 View attachment 373336 View attachment 373337 View attachment 373338 View attachment 373339 View attachment 373340 These are all builds from last year but pics taken as they were just about finished. Some still even have the dowel I use to hold them for painting still in the engine mount. And yes that’s three different Nike Smokes.

WHERE did you get that metallic red on your Red Max? I love it!

WHERE did you get that metallic red on your Red Max? I love it!

That’s Createx Pearl Red mixed with their Candy Apple Red over an aluminuminized base coat. The first coats of red were about a 50/50 mix of pearl and candy and throughout the coats I progressively cut out the pearl until it went to a 100% candy color. There’s about 5 coats of red on there. In person the color really pops much more than the picture. The pearl and the candy are both transparent even at five coats so they let the light in and it reflects of the aluminum color base.

Back