Post Your Best Rocket Name

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Scarlett No'Haira"

Aerotech specifies CA for many of their kits. I was holding a Cheetah between my legs, nose down, while attempting to drip CA into the fin can. Some seeped out of a fin slot and onto the outside of the rocket and my inner left thigh. Now I have a rocket glued to the inside of my leg. The glue patch was about 1" by 3". Wandered around a bit trying to find some acetone. Gave up and just ripped it off. Lots of leg hair was stuck to the side of the rocket. Assuming this would affect drag coefficient, I spent some time with acetone scrubbing it off.

Ended up painting it red. Given the color and it's now clean shaven surface, I thought Scarlett No'Haira was the natural choice for a name.

Hans.

Poignard

I've had this name on my mind for 30 of 40 years, and by now it's pretty clear I'll never build a model to fit it. I think I read something/somewhere that there is/was a South Korean(?) anti-tank(?) missile with this name, but pretty sure I had it first.

Building a Minie-Magg now... Planning on painting it Purple, green, and gold and calling it the Mardi Magg

"SuperNeon 3XL^2" (SuperNeon 3 XL Squared). Modified SuperNeon XL to a 2 stage each with a 3 x 18mm cluster. With 3 x B6-0 it would stage at 20-30 feet.

7-UP. 7 x 18mm cluster in a BT70.

Lawn-Dart. Estes Star-Dart with decals of grass on the fins

"Phil" - PemTech Kraken

"Thunder Road" - Scratch built 5.5" intended to fly on 19 x Estes E motors totaling I impulse -> I-19 -> Thunder Road

"Overkill" - Scratch built 5.5" that is somewhere between a stretched King Viper III and an upscaled 429-SS. 4 x 54mm motor tubes. Alternate name was 454-SS

"El Monstruo!" Scratch built 5.5 with a central 54mm and 8 x 29mm outboard

"URGENT!" Upscale Estes Argent that flies on a 54mm motor. The last flight the "NT" decals came off, leaving "URGE !"

Here's a current favorite based on a misheard lyric from a Beatles song.

Attachments

• IMG_5405.JPG
    IMG_5405.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
The rocket I'll probably use for L1 cert is named "Smart like Tractor." The rocket I built out of the two lengths of tube and remains of fins I recovered from a lawndarted DBRM is named "Wreckage Recovered from Crashsite." My Airfest 27 build which has been rebuilt three or four times now is currently named "Old Patchwork," for obvious reasons.

I introduced my daughter to rocketry when she was six, and she called our Estes RTF “Ten the Rocket”. Inspired by the countdown I guess. I’ve yet to do a full scratch build but when I do, that’s its name.

'No Indigo' is a scratch-build. Made from two shipping tubes (3" diameter) that originally contained class-room sized Periodic Tables. It has a 54mm motor mount and is dual deploy. I fiberglassed the tubes, cut and painted them, masking off the areas that were going to receive epoxy. The tube fins are attached with epoxy and then bolted (just for added support). It ended up being fairly heavy though - reaching only 3800' on a CTI K360W. But it was a nice flight!

I'm (slowly) building a 54 MM carbon fiber minimum diameter rocket that will be powered by a Loki 54 MM M1378. It will be named "Colour me GONE" Being Canadian, the spelling using the U is me. If there are any older drag racing fans reading this, Roger Lindamood's Funny Car car gave me the name. I saw him a number of times in Toronto Canada, back then.

Jim

I'm (slowly) building a 54 MM carbon fiber minimum diameter rocket that will be powered by a Loki 54 MM M1378.
@manixFan calls that motor "Shiva, Destroyer of Rockets." I would love to see one fly in minimum diameter. Best of luck with what will be a fun and memorable flight, whatever happens!

Building a Minie-Magg now... Planning on painting it Purple, green, and gold and calling it the Mardi Magg
Bad paint job and not enough green... and I have a few spots to touch up still. I had thought about painting a pearl necklace draped around the nosecone... but my ambition far outpaces my painting ability
final with paint.jpg

The Banana Ro-publi-cket.

Now someone has to solve how make a stable, banana-shaped rocket, and paint it yellow with Plato and crowds of people pointing and looking forward. It looks decent in my mind.

The best name I have actually coined for one of my rockets was Heavy Metal Thunder for a clustered high-power rocket that I was building to test an idea for a five-motor Saturn V. I never finished the rocket after a bad experience with expanding foam and later discovered that Dick Stafford stole the name idea from me when he used it for a rocket he designed and built and named long before I started my project.

Last edited:
just an idea... rocket harness for an action figure called the *CAF Launcher

*Character/Action Figure also Cool As F*

my other idea is to use a balsa rib and tissue construction ala guillow to make a fatter V2/football looking thing, calling it the Humanity Escape Device Z, or HED Zeppelin... (*bonzo rimshot)

Last edited:
"Who's Your Daddy" (upscaled Big Daddy)
"Ledder Rip" - sled name used on the USS General R. Ford while testing the new catapult system. Could be used on a minimum diameter rocket
"Love Muscle" – spotted this name on a cigarette racing boat down in Florida a few years ago which might be fitting on a large rocket.

Last edited:
"Who's Your Daddy" (upscaled Big Daddy)
"Ledder Rip" - sled name used on the USS General R. Ford while testing the new catapult system. Could be used on a minimum diameter rocket
"Love Muscle" – spotted this name on a cigarette racing boat down in Florida a few years ago which might be fitting on a large rocket.
There is a USS General R. Ford? What was General Ford famous for?

Back