Post Your Best Rocket Name

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"pimp child" (ugly wild child)
"Blackout" (G force)
"Beyondce" (Initiator w/ring fin) get it?
"Spike Lee" (cone and cf fin can)
"Momentum" (old school cf scratch)
"No Regerts" (scratch heavy cf tube)
"African-I-zed" (triple I motor black and yellow)
"Green Fog" (4" glass tube x 5' nite flyer)

I haven't formally named my L3 project, but I'm leaning toward "Run the Joules"

It releases a bunch of energy, and costs as much as getting robed.

I haven't formally named my L3 project, but I'm leaning toward "Run the Joules"

It releases a bunch of energy, and costs as much as getting robed.

My original L3 plan was going to be named "High Expectations," but that plan is now sidelined, and I am onto plan C, hmmm maybe that will be the name of my L3 "Plan C."

My favorite two names are "Hot Needle of Inquiry" (taken from Larry Niven books; this refers to an interrogation technique) and Project Red Queen (taken from the Resident Evil movies).

Needle Cluster Launch 2.jpg

Red Queen 096.jpg

There are some outrageous names on this thread. I'm a bit happier today knowing that there are real rockets out there launching, flying, and getting announced by the LCO with such phenomenal names.

That's half the fun! Find the edgiest name that they will still announce. If the LCO can make it through with a straight face, I've failed.

Alice. (Who gets it?)

This morning I glanced at my Estes Solar Flare (unlaunched and already in need of repair) and thought that would be a good design to upscale, mid-high power transitional. Solar Prominence. Then upscale it again into L2 territory and call it Solar Mass Ejection.
[H]mmm maybe that will be the name of my L3 "Plan C."
From Outer Space?

My favorite: After reading astronaut Mike Mullane's book "Riding Rockets." - He was in the Shuttle program when the Challenger blew up. When asked what his plans were after his final flight, he said, "I have no plans past MECO (Main Engine CutOff)."
When I built an ambitious project with functional strap-on boosters, I named it "No Plans Past MECO." I also named my supersonic rocket "Mach my day!"
Currently building an Estes Mega Mosquito... But since mosquito means "little fly," I thought "La Mosca Gordo" would be more appropriate.
MECO Booster Sep NSL (Medium).jpg MECO Launch0003 (2) (Medium).jpeg

I wanted to name a rocket... Gas Passer. Hmm....I think I will!

I'n my not-so-younger days, i played a lot of Mech warrior. All my custom mechs were girl names..

My recent WoW characters are being named a numbered agent: Agent63, Agent47, etc..

One of the very first rockets I ever built was Madcow Momba. It needs some nose cone weight. I figured out how much weight I'd need in it if I were to fly it on average H motor. Added 10% to be on the safe side. Then measured that weight in BB pellets. Not taking into account that epoxy isn't really that light either. So, when I mixed up everything and poured it in, I ended with considerably more weight in the nose cone than needed (probably on the order of at least 50 to 100 grams, which is a lot for this rocket).

It's painted with suggested Momba cow pattern. Thus I named it Slow Cow.

Flies extremely stable though. And every other owner of Momba wants to drag race with me. Because they know they are guaranteed to win. LSO/RSO's chuckle when announcing it too (almost) every time.

Well, at least you've got enough nose weight to balance out a heavier-than-average H motor. Offer to drag those guys on a maximal H or a baby I and watch the Slow Cow go fast while the other guy sky writes. Then you can rename it "Slow 'n' Steady".

tuxray1.jpg tuxray2.jpg Rebuilt my crashed Super Batray with an e-bay with a raspberry pi in it and renamed it Super Tuxray. Put a pic of Tux on the side, was well as a pi inside logo. (the 3 bump-outs are for pi-cam, microphone, and indicator leds)

Back