Post Office Searches Package

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I recently got a good deal on some RMS motors, a 38mm set and 54mm set. My friend shipped them to me, and I should have got them today. But, instead, he got them back... in a different box, from the Post Office, smelling like solvent. Included in the box was a note apologizing for the inconvenience. He is going to ask them why did they search it? Maybe their sensors detected trace elements of propellant? What do you guys think?

Was the package clearly marked to be suitable for "Surface Transportation Only"?

Did the label indicate the contents were "toy propellant devices"?

There was no propellant. Only 6 cases, five closures, and a seal disk. As far as I know... there is not limit on shipping aluminum tubes....

Maybe they x-rayed it and thought it would go Boom?

Originally posted by brianc
Was the package clearly marked to be suitable for "Surface Transportation Only"?

Did the label indicate the contents were "toy propellant devices"?

Or did he make the mistake of the year, marking the package "model airplane parts"? The authorities probably have an eye out for those now...

Bill

Originally posted by n3tjm
I recently got a good deal on some RMS motors, a 38mm set and 54mm set. My friend shipped them to me, and I should have got them today. But, instead, he got them back... in a different box, from the Post Office, smelling like solvent. Included in the box was a note apologizing for the inconvenience. He is going to ask them why did they search it? Maybe their sensors detected trace elements of propellant? What do you guys think?

I think a clue to this is the solvent smell. Something must have gotten spilled on the original package, either at the post office or in transit, and they had to repack it and sent it back. It might even have been in an accident of some sort. The return address could have been the only legible address after the box was damaged.

Originally posted by n3tjm

You could very well be right. If they'd been fired before, a sniffer could have picked up the residue and they opened it to check it.

The solvent does sounds strange. Ray could be correct about something having been spilled on it. On the other hand, that may have been from testing them. Just asking why it was opened probably wouldn't do much, but asking them what the hell this potentially poisonous stuff is all over his things, that they might answer.

just as a note, if you ever order casings or reloads and they come in a plastic bad, check the sealing... youll notice that it looks like its been opened and re-heat sealed

We don't really want that discussion to get started in this forum, do we?:D
Anyway, I got a laugh from it!

Far be it for me to sugest that anyone does anything wrong but a few aniseed sweets in the parcels would give the sniffer dogs a treet.

David

If, by that term, you mean the old-fashioned black licorice nibs, that candy is extinct in the U.S.
I know because I have been looking for it for years

Originally posted by Bill
Or did he make the mistake of the year, marking the package "model airplane parts"? The authorities probably have an eye out for those now...

Bill

LMAO!!!!

Did you search using something like "Yahoo search"?

https://www.licorice.org/LicoriceFinder/licoricefinder.htm

https://www.licorice.org/LicoriceFinder/Nibbs__Paskesz_r/nibbs__paskesz_r.htm

https://www.candydirect.com/html/eng/81-AA.html

https://thecandydepot.com/licnibblac.html

https://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/8429350/prd/12234591/adtg/07270441

Originally posted by powderburner
If, by that term, you mean the old-fashioned black licorice nibs, that candy is extinct in the U.S.
I know because I have been looking for it for years

by the way, "Interfering with a Police Dog" is a serious crime at the local and Federal level.

I personally do not joke about crimes like that and I encourage others to refrain from comments that are not wise.

Originally posted by shreadvector
by the way, "Interfering with a Police Dog" is a serious crime at the local and Federal level.

I personally do not joke about crimes like that and I encourage others to refrain from comments that are not wise.

I wonder if they make "essence of animal crotch" to throw off the dogs. :D

Sorry...that was bad. I personally don't understand why anyone would want to challenge a law over a hobby. Well, this thread is certainly going in a different direction. To get back on topic, this is why in our Tour de Deuce welcome letter we specifically make a note to avoid leaving spent motor casings in the rockets. I still can't see how up until now they haven't been halted. Sheesh, I hope I haven't jinxed anything!

waaaaay off topic:

Originally posted by eugenefl
I wonder if they make "essence of animal crotch" to throw off the dogs. :D

Deer-hunting archers have to use all the tricks they can to get within effective range----and it is pretty darn short. There are many items available on the market to help in these efforts, including liquids that you can douse yourself with to mask your own human odors. You can get doe urine, extract of doe estrus, buck urine, and other goodies such as fox urine.

Do you need some?

I am pretty sure some of that stuff is illegal though, because it attracts the deer especially Doe Urine

Havent you ever see the hunter that doused himself and then went to the edge of the woods looking for deer a big buck came out and saw he wasnt a female and beat the living crap out of him. Good video

Sorry but are you for real?
And for information I said far from me to encourage it.
Also how is it interfering with a dog if you put some sweets in a parcel?
Sheesh.

David

Your complete quote is attached.

It is clearly a joke (or attempted joke) about interfering with sniffer or police dogs.

Since these dogs are sniffing for explosives as part of anti-terrorism efforts, I personally don't think it is a wise use of attempted humor.

Shipping legally and with care (i.e. clean empty/used RMS casings) is a good thing.

That's all I'm saying. Don't read anythng else into it. I didn't read anything extra into your message. I just read what you typed.

Originally posted by DavRedf
Far be it for me to sugest that anyone does anything wrong but a few aniseed sweets in the parcels would give the sniffer dogs a treet.

David

Your complete quote is attached.

It is clearly a joke (or attempted joke) about interfering with sniffer or police dogs.

Since these dogs are sniffing for explosives as part of anti-terrorism efforts, I personally don't think it is a wise use of attempted humor.

Shipping legally and with care (i.e. clean empty/used RMS casings) is a good thing.

That's all I'm saying. Don't read anythng else into it. I didn't read anything extra into your message. I just read what you typed.

And you believe that.
Again sheesh.

David

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.............HE might hear you, and start responding :D

Back