Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Post 1489. I remember a 4th grade art teacher showing me those circles. I was crushed when she told me I was color blind. I thought how can that be I can see all the colors. But my hopes of being an astronaut or a pilot were dashed. I didn't see those circles again until I enlisted in the Air force. A touchy feely tech basically told me what the numbers were. And since my career field didn't really need it all was cool.
Feel your pain man!
I was about 15 when I found out I was "colour deficient", so that ended my high school career thoughts of being a pilot or electrical engineer.
I recall after I graduated from uni and joined British Airways Engineering in London that I had to take a company medical. The chief medical doc there reacted in a less than understanding manner when I said I wasn't colour blind, rather I was colour deficient.
He then spend 15mins extra going out of his way to prove he was right, eventually finding a shade of light lens to get me to fail to see it was actually a red one, upon which he remarked proudly "Aha! See I'm right!". What an assh*@e!
I seem to have survive all those traffic lights in the intervening 35years, and fortunately he was one of the very few true [email protected] I met in my career there.

mach7

Reaction score
#1516- A Black Widow coming back from the dead!
Love it!

TSMILLER

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
#1516- A Black Widow coming back from the dead!
Love it!
My all time favorite airplane, long time restoration at MAAM. If I lived in that part of the country all my spare time would be working on that project.

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My all time favorite airplane, long time restoration at MAAM. If I lived in that part of the country all my spare time would be working on that project.
Oh, same here. Did their kickstarter a few years ago. Neet to see it on its legs. Cool that it will be the only flying Black Widow.

mach7

Reaction score

One of my favs also. They have one on display at the Udvar-Hazy at Dulles.

As an aside, While at ROTC summer camp at Dover AFB I volunteered to work Saturdays on the B-17G Shoo Shoo Baby restoration, Basically just a gofer. 7 years later I was based at Dover AFB and got to see her fly off to the Air Force Museum the day before my 29th birthday! A nice Birthday present.
It is very rewarding to have even a very small part in a restoration, And to see her fly again was just incredible.
I hope MAAM can get the Widow flying soon!

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
#1421, #1422, these are my kind of ladies. You can find cute anywhere, but it's very rare to find a woman that is willing to noodle, then cuddle up with the catch.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
#1528. I made a set of grips for a friend's 1911 out of figured walnut. He just happened to have the package in his truck when Ted showed up at his work.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built a model of the Black Widow many many years ago. I also have liked it for a long time

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built a model of the Black Widow many many years ago. I also have liked it for a long time
I scratch-built a profile C/L model that was really slick (in the '70's). I have the Ziroli plans for a ~70" R/C, but unlikely that would ever get built. Thinking about working on a printed electric r/c. I've got a couple of the Monogram plastic models; really tempting is the Hobby Boss 1/32 plastic kit, but that's a bit pricey.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Post 1550. What is it?
World's first transistor. By Shockly, Brattain and Bardeen at Bell Labs:

It would knock their socks off to know that we can get 330000 of them on the cross-section of a human hair now. FYI the average smartphone nowadays has around 500 billion transistors on board.

vcp

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While at ROTC summer camp at Dover AFB I volunteered to work Saturdays on the B-17G Shoo Shoo Baby restoration
My ROTC camp was at Rickenbacker AFB, OH (which don't think exists anymore)(edit, it does, an ANG base). The only benefit there was getting a day to go to the AF Museum..

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
#1605 When I started teaching at Cumberland College in 1979 they had an 8800b with a video terminal and keyboard. Also a tape player and teletype to load programs via punched paper tape or cassette tape. They had just bought a 32K (not gig, not meg) board with onboard BASIC...for $1000. Took quite a while to load Lunar Lander; no graphics, you had to input direction and amount of thrust and it'd tell you how fast the lander was going afterward, etc. That was how we had computer fun, way back when. :)

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
My dad, about the same time [very late 70's], had a programmable calculator that had a similar game. "programs" were little magnetic paper strips, about 1/2" x 3" long..

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
#1612 vintage toy from the 60s and 70s. You poured "Plastigoop" into one of the molds, set it in the ThingMaker heater, cooked it for a while, dunked it in water to cool. Peel out the rubbery insects/spiders/frogs. Place on sister's shoulder when she wasn't looking; screams usually ensued.

They also had a set for making pose-able toy soldiers (embedded wires) and accessories. Far too dangerous today; hot molds and such. Plastigoop was a mix of fine PVC powder and a plasticizer. This "plastisol" is available today for making fishing lures by the same process.

jsdemar

Reaction score
#1612 vintage toy from the 60s and 70s. You poured "Plastigoop" into one of the molds, set it in the ThingMaker heater, cooked it for a while, dunked it in water to cool. Peel out the rubbery insects/spiders/frogs. Place on sister's shoulder when she wasn't looking; screams usually ensued.

They also had a set for making pose-able toy soldiers (embedded wires) and accessories. Far too dangerous today; hot molds and such. Plastigoop was a mix of fine PVC powder and a plasticizer. This "plastisol" is available today for making fishing lures by the same process.
I got one of the Thing Makers around '69. We made all sorts of stuff, including fishing lures, and sold them at school and to the neighborhood kids. My brother became sensitized to the goop, so that ended our first entrepreneurial venture.

cvanc

Reaction score
#1612 vintage toy from the 60s and 70s. You poured "Plastigoop" into one of the molds, set it in the ThingMaker heater, cooked it for a while, dunked it in water to cool.
Yes! Neighbor had one, that thing used to STINK to high heaven. Good times 👍

NateB

Reaction score
#1616 - A B25 that just landed and was taxiing by our hangar. It'll be neat to watch them take off again.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
the cool 'casual shirt' website:

crap, another one of these sites, where you try to scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the "about" info, yet, the page continually fills in with more "stuff", so you are forever scrolling down..

edit:

cool shirts, but I am always suspicions of "foreign" clothing companies, mainly due to our own import & duties charges.. Clothing always seems to get dinged with higher fees..

MClark

Reaction score
We got the confirmation email, ordered a couple and got free shipping.
Will see what happens