Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tsmith1315

Reaction score
@mbeels Post 914

I remember reading a recent post about driving an '89 Festiva until the rust wouldn't hold it together anymore.

That's a Festiva alright, yours?

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@mbeels Post 914

I remember reading a recent post about driving an '89 Festiva until the rust wouldn't hold it together anymore.

That's a Festiva alright, yours?
Yup, that was mine! Actually, I drove a combination of 4 Festivas over a period of about 20 years. I replaced quite a lot of parts on those cars, but when the wheel fell off, that was the final straw. Actually I was quite lucky it didn't happen at speed. It took some work at times to keep them going, but they were absolutely dirt cheap to drive, maintain, and insure, plus I was stubborn when it comes to squeezing the last bit of useful life out of something (still am).

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Post number 936. I taught my self how to throw knives. The first knife had a wooden handle. I aimed both at the heart center. Then lighting struck. I probably couldn't do that again if I tried.

mach7

Reaction score
Post 939, "Keep it family friendly"

What did I miss? :-0

neil_w

Brain and brain, what is brain!?!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Meta-comment about this thread: posting a link to the relevant post in the other thread would be way more useful than just a post number.

russell_t

Reaction score
@Blast it Tom! When I was 11 years old my dad handed me that Apollo 11 glass after filling the gas tank of his car. It's a great memory. Somehow through the years I've been able to hang on to that glass without breaking it. The cardboard cutout Apollo 11 LEM that Dad gave me after another gas tank fill-up offer from the same time period didn't survive the years, but my memory of building it remains.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@Blast it Tom! When I was 11 years old my dad handed me that Apollo 11 glass after filling the gas tank of his car. It's a great memory. Somehow through the years I've been able to hang on to that glass without breaking it. The cardboard cutout Apollo 11 LEM that Dad gave me after another gas tank fill-up offer from the same time period didn't survive the years, but my memory of building it remains.
Wow. I forget where mine came from. All of that stuff got lost following the breakup of the family when I was 16. That cardboard LEM rustles a few neurons as well, but I'm not sure if I had it. I had the Revell and Monogram models of everything and followed the missions with the models as they were configured at the time, as I was an impressionable an dweebish, geeky 13 year old at the time!

I found your earlier picture with Neil, Mike, and Buzz drinking from them and saved that in my album. Much thanks again! I'd forgotten all about it until I saw your picture!

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
Post 939, "Keep it family friendly"

What did I miss? :-0
it was likely in my picture of a woman walking and holding her underwear off to the side , now even though you can walk through every mall and see every ad on TV with a woman shown in her bikini briefs, but in this case it is singled out on my account more than likely. And somehow family-friendly is different on here than it is on TV or walking in the mall

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have four Apollo glasses still in the cardboard carrier they came in. Along with news papers of the day covering every launch from mercury through the Shuttle.

russell_t

Reaction score
I have four Apollo glasses still in the cardboard carrier they came in. Along with news papers of the day covering every launch from mercury through the Shuttle.
I've purchased several glasses (Apollo 12 and 13) at antique stores. Glass carafes / decanters / pitchers were originally available with some glass sets and they can be purchased on eBay.

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
Man, I would love to eat those fresh Crappie that's in the sink. :bravo:

cvanc

Reaction score
cvanc: what cartridge and stylus is that?
Ortofon OM20! Which is actually a low end model for them (moving magnet, not moving coil).

Ortofon styli are uniformly beautiful and 'buttoned down'. Other brands look much more primitive under magnification.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Carl!!! @cvanc , long time no see ya. I guess I should take a close up picture of my turntable needles. They're made out of Bamboo... about 1" long and triangular shaped. For my hand cranked Victrola. 😉

MClark

Reaction score
#969, Thunderbird.
My favorite of all boats.
Dave Triano works for the company who maintains and operates this boat.
He gets to drive it around Lake Tahoe, that is so cool!

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
My post 988 has a model rocket displayed with looks to be pillow stuffing around an orange light. Can anyone give more details on how this done?

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
#969, Thunderbird.
My favorite of all boats.
Dave Triano works for the company who maintains and operates this boat.
He gets to drive it around Lake Tahoe, that is so cool!
Dave had the company Shadow Aero, right? I tried talking him into making the Ultra Fat Boy rockets again.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My post 988 has a model rocket displayed with looks to be pillow stuffing around an orange light. Can anyone give more details on how this done?
Like this?

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
Like this?
Thanks.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
I have to ask... what's the corkscrew like in real life? Laguna Seca has always been one of my favorite tracks, but I've never been on it outside of in a simulator.
Sorry I didn't have a chance to reply earlier. I've been pretty busy lately and am just catching up with the goings on around here!

I've never really done any sim racing, so I don't know how they depict the corkscrew, but in real life once you round turn six and head up the hill a bit you don't see anything but sky! The track kind of levels out as you approach the top of the hill so its very hard to see anything ahead of you. Think of the first drop of a rollercoaster where it looks like the track is dropping out from under you and there is nothing on the horizon to indicate that there is anything on the other side.

There used to be a tree on the far side of the track at the top of the hill that was a good reference (the only reference) for getting the car in the proper place on track to turn in to the initial left, but they cut that down years ago, so you have to use things like skid marks on the track (there are lots of those 😜) and features at the side of the track to know where you are as you approach the drop away left at the top (turn 7).

Once you turn in to the left (turn 7), you STILL can't see anything for a second, and, since the track is falling out from under you, your guts go up in your throat like on a fast elevator and you lose most of your traction as well (less weight on the tires = less grip). This makes the car want to slide out to the right. An over exuberant entry speed will send you right across the track, which is not where you want to be (Are you familiar with the term "Zanardi line"), so slow in is your best bet. The loss of traction is one of the reasons you see so many smoking tires at the top of the hill. The other is arriving at the turn-in point for the left with way too much speed because you weren't paying attention and missed you reference mark... :rolleyes: Ummm, yeah...

Once you go over the cliff, the track comes back up to meet you and you go from that stomach-in-your-throat elevator-drop feeling to (what feels like) a couple of gee compression! You also have gobs of grip and you need it to get over to the right for a late apex at the bottom of turn 8 and an exit kind of in the middle of the track to get set up for turn 9, which is fast and goes on forever.

I guess that's the technical answer, but the emotional answer is that the first few times you go through it at speed, it is almost sensory overload. You are just hoping the track is still there as you fly over the cliff, hoping you're in the right place, pointed the right direction and there is no one sideways at the bottom of the hill (Never mind that the FIRST few times you are also giggling like a kid thinking "I'm racing at Laguna Seca! Hahaha....🤪🤪). Of course, after a few laps you get the hang of it and it just becomes part of the track that you work hard to get right. The first few drops really put you stomach in your throat as well, but that quickly goes away as you get on with the business at hand. The thing you always have to contend with is going from bright, blazing sun at the top, into a rather dark, tree lined canyon at the bottom. I never wore sunglasses at Laguna because of that transition. With shades that bottom part just goes black!

Well, sorry to go on so long, guys... You got me rambling again:rolleyes:

Mike

rfjustin

Reaction score
Question.... why are people posting pictures and not giving proper credit to who actually took/owns said photos? No comments/text aside is not a reason to ignore photo/video etiquette.

cvanc

Reaction score
So Justin who actually took your profile photo?

(I believe the word you're looking for is touché.)

Just kidding dude, miss you and the whole Bong gang. I'll be back some day.

I've posted a pic or two in the thread, all taken by myself.