Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I guess that is 3 guesses:

it's something called 'Creton'. Basically Pig Patté.. "Spiced pig fat"

I don't care for it, but it is a standard / traditional Quebequois breakfast spread. The picture I posted is a very nice looking one. it's normally just a beige greasy mush.. It is basically something to do with bacon fat..

Funkworks

Nothing to see here.
Reaction score
Kind of like spreadable sausage. I thought of it but the kind I've seen didn't look quite the same. Personally, I prefer peanut butter.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is of Croatian heritage and she used to eat that sometimes for breakfast.

Personally I will stick with Vegemite and cheese on toast.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
Wow, great post Tim! That pic is from the Montery Historics several years back when Chaparral was the featured marque. I was there that year (I was there most years ;) ) and, as a massive Chaparral/Jim Hall fan from an early age, it was quite a thrill to see all of those iconic cars (And the Man himself!) up close.

Vic Elford drove the 2J, fans running and everything. If you know anything about Elford at all, you'll know he doesn't do "parade laps"! He flogged that thing! Seeing (And hearing!) the 2J at full chat coming down the hill from the Corkscrew was a treat I'll never forget.

tsmith1315

Reaction score
Mike, Monterey/Pebble Beach has a pipe dream for me since youth. Were you driving there or spectating?

Chaparrals are rare beasts indeed, I don't think I've caught one in person. And getting to see Vic drive must have been a real treat. All my vintage/historic spectating has been at Road Atlanta, 1988-2000 or so. The sounds are such a huge part of the experience. There's nothing like priceless vintage metal at full bore!

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
post 855. The full moon thru the tress in my yard. Shot with an S10+ Samsung using night mode.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Vic Elford drove the 2J, fans running and everything. If you know anything about Elford at all, you'll know he doesn't do "parade laps"! He flogged that thing! Seeing (And hearing!) the 2J at full chat coming down the hill from the Corkscrew was a treat I'll never forget.
Amazing car. I'm unlikely to ever see it, but it's on my bucket list. ie, I'm not dying until I see it. I have an agreement with... something.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pic 871. Meh, I’ve seen better palm trees… too bad she’s in the way so that I could be sure. :p:p:p

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So it took 30 pages for someone to ignore the request that was right in the title of the sister thread to this one.

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
So it took 30 pages for someone to ignore the request that was right in the title of the sister thread to this one.
I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, I just didn't know who it was going to be.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I have a job.
We sell and rent those. Luckily I’ve never had to repair one after the EMT’s removed a body from one. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about a New Holland discbine. Nasty… and sad.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
Mike, Monterey/Pebble Beach has a pipe dream for me since youth. Were you driving there or spectating?
I was spectating that year. other times driving and/or supporting customers (I used to own a race shop). I maintained. restored and occasionally raced Wayne Baker's old IMSA GTU Porsche 914/4 from 1981. I watched that car race as a kid at Riverside, so it was truly a gift to have the opportunity to be involved with it.

At Rennsport V (A humongous historic Porsche race held at Laguna Seca) they would have all of the historic race cars do a parade lap or two and someone got pics of me coming down the Corkscrew. No safety equipment or anything for the parade lap, so you can actually see that it's me and not just my lid. A very unique (and cherished) "portrait"!

Mugsbus6.jpg

Mugsbus3.JPG

Chaparrals are rare beasts indeed, I don't think I've caught one in person.
Well, come on down! I am about 4 hours from Midland where all of the Chaparrals live in the Petroleum Museum. We'll make a road trip out of it! 😃

And getting to see Vic drive must have been a real treat. All my vintage/historic spectating has been at Road Atlanta, 1988-2000 or so. The sounds are such a huge part of the experience. There's nothing like priceless vintage metal at full bore!
Funny thing about the sound of the 2J; the little 2-stroke snow mobile engine that drives the fans runs open-pipe and is so loud and piercing that it actually drowns out the big block! It also runs at a constant RPM so the pitch never changes except that it is Doppler-shifted as the car goes by. Very weird. Like watching a race with the sound turned down and your neighbor running the weed whacker. 😲

If you don't mind, here are a few more pics of the Baker 914, just because I think it's cool and still can't believe that I was blessed to be able to not only be involved with, but also to race a car that was just an unachievable dream to me as a kid... And was paid to do it. The icing on that particular cake is that many of the guys I was watching race back then I now count as friends, including Wayne. (Come to think of it, that bit is the cake, the rest is icing...)

The Lord has blessed me far in excess of what I could ever deserve...
Moi, Baker 914, Fontana.jpg

post-4452-1240692430_thumb.jpg

post-4452-1240692370_thumb.jpg

post-4452-1240692204.jpg

She was looking a little tatty at Auto Club Speedway that weekend!

Anyway, thank you all for allowing me to indulge in some amazing (and humbling, truth be told) memories!

(You get me started on racing at your own peril...)

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
Reaction score
Amazing car. I'm unlikely to ever see it, but it's on my bucket list. ie, I'm not dying until I see it. I have an agreement with... something.
Like I said to Tim, come on, well, up! You've got a place to stay here and we'll make it a road trip to Midland to see all of the remaining Chaparrals (and a few other things too. Texas is a big place)!

Of course a launch would be in order too!

KC3KNM

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was spectating that year. other times driving and/or supporting customers (I used to own a race shop). I maintained. restored and occasionally raced Wayne Baker's old IMSA GTU Porsche 914/4 from 1981. I watched that car race as a kid at Riverside, so it was truly a gift to have the opportunity to be involved with it.

At Rennsport V (A humongous historic Porsche race held at Laguna Seca) they would have all of the historic race cars do a parade lap or two and someone got pics of me coming down the Corkscrew. No safety equipment or anything for the parade lap, so you can actually see that it's me and not just my lid. A very unique (and cherished) "portrait"!

View attachment 470469
View attachment 470470

Well, come on down! I am about 4 hours from Midland where all of the Chaparrals live in the Petroleum Museum. We'll make a road trip out of it! 😃

Funny thing about the sound of the 2J; the little 2-stroke snow mobile engine that drives the fans runs open-pipe and is so loud and piercing that it actually drowns out the big block! It also runs at a constant RPM so the pitch never changes except that it is Doppler-shifted as the car goes by. Very weird. Like watching a race with the sound turned down and your neighbor running the weed whacker. 😲

If you don't mind, here are a few more pics of the Baker 914, just because I think it's cool and still can't believe that I was blessed to be able to not only be involved with, but also to race a car that was just an unachievable dream to me as a kid... And was paid to do it. The icing on that particular cake is that many of the guys I was watching race back then I now count as friends, including Wayne. (Come to think of it, that bit is the cake, the rest is icing...)

The Lord has blessed me far in excess of what I could ever deserve...
View attachment 470472
View attachment 470474
View attachment 470475
View attachment 470476

She was looking a little tatty at Auto Club Speedway that weekend!

Anyway, thank you all for allowing me to indulge in some amazing (and humbling, truth be told) memories!

(You get me started on racing at your own peril...)

Mike
I have to ask... what's the corkscrew like in real life? Laguna Seca has always been one of my favorite tracks, but I've never been on it outside of in a simulator.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said to Tim, come on, well, up! You've got a place to stay here and we'll make it a road trip to Midland to see all of the remaining Chaparrals (and a few other things too. Texas is a big place)!

Of course a launch would be in order too!
Okay, you convinced me. I'll start saving now. Should be cheap flights by 2027. :)

TSMILLER

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
#928 USS Blueback. Without looking I figured it was a post from K'tesh. mach7 pulled one over on me.