Post A Pic That's Sad But True...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my HP48 dies, I may have to retire. It has the most perfect buttons, no one else has even come close. And the RPN is sufficiently strange that no one under 30 can use it.
I have an HP-15C that I bought in 1986, in the summer, so approaching its 35th birthday. That RPN saved my behind on many a thermodynamics test, interpolating is so quick on them. I also have an HP-15C on my laptop (and a working version of my Pickett N4-ES slide rule that I troll new hires with - "Uh, what's that you're using there?"). And, of course I have an RPN calculator on my phone. But we're off-topic.

Sad but true, my poor, beloved Pigasus after a partial 'chute opening and hard landing on a parking lot. Very sad and oh, too true... I must repair to the Techiques forum for repair techniques! Don't fly plastic 'chutes in the cold!
20201207_215711.jpg

Last edited:
I have an HP-15C that I bought in 1986, in the summer, so approaching its 25th birthday.

Better consult that calculator again, that’s coming up on 35 birthdays...........:shocked:.......which means Top Gun is also that age. Sheesh, where’s the time gone?

Better consult that calculator again, that’s coming up on 35 birthdays...........:shocked:.......which means Top Gun is also that age. Sheesh, where’s the time gone?
Just thought of it this AM! Corrected... and yes, it still works! Which means I got it when I was 31, so I've had it longer than I haven't had it! Oh, the great joy of lending it to someone in mischevious anticipation of the question: "Uh... where's the equals sign?"

Last edited:
this is sad, but true, and just sad.. and in all seriousness..

Certain parts of Quebec are under a reduced curfew: 8pm - 5am. And some are upset at this (their right) so they go out after 8pm to protest. Again, their right to do so.

But they then proceed to vandalize the neighbourhood, smashing store windows & some looting. And in an area of teh city that is extremely popular with tourists (who have all but dried up..)

Vandalizing the people who are likely suffering the most under this pandemic.. That's the >>sad but true<< part..

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/protests-against-curfew-held-for-second-night-in-a-row-1.5384847

Certain parts of Quebec are under a reduced curfew: 8pm - 5am. And some are upset at this (their right) so they go out after 8pm to protest. Again, their right to do so.

But they then proceed to vandalize the neighbourhood, smashing store windows & some looting. And in an area of teh city that is extremely popular with tourists (who have all but dried up..)

Vandalizing the people who are likely suffering the most under this pandemic.. That's the >>sad but true<< part..

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/protests-against-curfew-held-for-second-night-in-a-row-1.5384847

I never understood how the phenomena of demonstrations over a real or perceived outrage would lead to destruction of the property of your brothers and sisters who, like you, are just trying to keep their head above water. I found two sources:
1. A study by psychologists which showed that criminals take advantage of the opportunity to engage in that which is fulfilling to them - stealing and destroying.
2. A video (which I hoped was not true) showing a woman complaining that some store owners were guarding their stores with firearms to prevent looting - "They're ready to kill a man, and all this stuff is covered by insurance!" I kid you not...

We still have a lo-o-ong way to go in that old "love your neighbor as yourself" department, don't we?

Last edited:

Sounds like the nightly occurrence in Portland. It has become an embarrassment. So much so that the greater portion of Oregon is trying to join Idaho.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Police declared a riot Monday night as a group of about 200 people gathered near the Penumbra Kelly building on East Burnside after police said people started fires and threw objects at them.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Idaho lawmakers appeared intrigued but skeptical when pitched a plan to lop off about three-fourths of Oregon and add it to Idaho to create what would be the nation’s third-largest state geographically.
Representatives of a group called Move Oregon’s Border For a Greater Idaho outlined their plan to Idaho lawmakers on Monday.
The Idaho Legislature would have to approve the plan that would expand Idaho's southwestern border to the Pacific Ocean.
Supporters say rural Oregon voters are dominated by liberal urban areas such as Portland, and would rather join conservative Idaho.
The Oregon Legislature and the U.S. Congress would also have to sign off.

Last edited:
I never understood how the phenomena of demonstrations over a real or perceived outrage would lead to destruction of the property of your brothers and sisters who, like you, are just trying to keep their head above water. I found two sources:
1. A study by psychologists which showed that criminals take advantage of the opportunity to engage in thta which is fulfilling to them - stealing and destroying.
2. A video (which I hoped was not true) showing a woman complaining that some store owners were guarding their stores with firearms to prevent looting - "They're ready to kill a man, and all this stuff is covered by insurance!" I kid you not...

We still have a lo-o-ong way to go in that old "love your neighbor as yourself" department, don't we?
ya know.. one thing I've noticed of 30+ years of travelling all over this continent:
The smaller the town, the nicer & more cordial people are to each other.
The larger the town, the more likely you will have people beating on each other..

And yes, amongst the protestors there is [always?] the criminal element who will take advantage / use teh protest as a cover for their own ends. And, some of these protests are driven by 'professional protestors'; people who will react to a cause (any cause!) just to be heard and be 'anti'...

ya know.. one thing I've noticed of 30+ years of travelling all over this continent:
The smaller the town, the nicer & more cordial people are to each other.
The larger the town, the more likely you will have people beating on each other..

And yes, amongst the protestors there is [always?] the criminal element who will take advantage / use the protest as a cover for their own ends. And, some of these protests are driven by 'professional protestors'; people who will react to a cause (any cause!) just to be heard and be 'anti'...
At the risk of complete derailment, I will say that I very much agree with you. There is something about having grass under my feet, the more placid and peaceful surroundings of bluebirds and cardinals instead of starlings and sewer eagles (pigeons) that I find much more amenable to an overall good temper. Plus less of an opportunity to stay anonymous - you see others as people, not strangers. YMMV.

Last edited:
And the RPN is sufficiently strange that no one under 30 can use it.
And not darn many over thirty either, or over sixty for that matter.

I loved my HP42S. I now have this on my own computer, my work laptop, my own phone, and my work phone.

I had MathUPro from Creative Creak on my PalmOS PDAs. That is, hands down the best calculator I've ever had, but the author refused to port it to Android. If I had the time and inclination to update my 30 year old programming skills and learn the Android platform, I'd clone it and implement one major improvement that the original author had planned but never got to. It's dumbed down brother (MathU, not programmable) is available for iOS.

If you think self-checkout works, attempt to self checkout a six pack of beer, or a box of .22 shells even at my age (51).

You'll have to wait for a 16-18 year old to call the manager, and for the manager to override/approve your transaction. It is hardly as simple as a cashier that can look at an ID to confirm age. Not to say we shouldn't restrict juvenile access to beer or ammunition, but I'm not in that demographic.

The sheer fact that I will have to deal with this precludes me from the situation.

If you think self-checkout works, attempt to self checkout a six pack of beer, or a box of .22 shells even at my age (51).

You'll have to wait for a 16-18 year old to call the manager, and for the manager to override/approve your transaction. It is hardly as simple as a cashier that can look at an ID to confirm age. Not to say we shouldn't restrict juvenile access to beer or ammunition, but I'm not in that demographic.

The sheer fact that I will have to deal with this precludes me from the situation.

a few years ago, I was with my friend picking up BBQ supplies at the local grocery, which have the OR /Fujitsu machines (See my post above, he is high up "software support" and knows these machines like the back of his hand!!) Sure enough, we had a case of beer, and once scanned, needed 'cashier intervention' to validate our age. The two cashiers where just chatting, not aware of the flashing lane indication.. After a few minutes, (and a few words) he walks up to the attendant's station, leans thru the two girls (who are still chatting), and quickly 'accepts' his age, then returns to finish off our purchase / transaction.

The two girls just looked at each other, looked at him, (and I assume) were completely unaware of what just happened..

I giggled to myself as we walked out.. "If only they [and their manager & manager's manager] knew who we were!"

Sad but true, I hope... F'rinstance, I just went to the shop to drill some 1/8" holes for pop rivets:
View attachment 459990
Or maybe not...
Ah yes, reminds me of the time I went to HD specifically to pick up a can of Satin Magenta paint.
nosatinmagenta.JPG
Instead I came home with a hot steaming cup of Nope.

Back