Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, what?!!! We use Fiestaware!!!
A long time ago, one color (orange?) of Fiestaware used a glaze with uranium in it. Any other color is OK, and later years of that color are OK. It’s worth googling it up to figure out if your Fiestaware is OK.

Wait, what?!!! We use Fiestaware!!!
Older stuff had uranium mineral glaze. Generally it’s safe to eat off of, so long as you’re not eating anything too acidic. The bigger concern is that uranium is chemically toxic in the same sense as lead, as the radioactivity in natural uranium is low.

310355788_10222817671172336_5305037160357106682_n.jpg

A long time ago, one color (orange?) of Fiestaware used a glaze with uranium in it. Any other color is OK, and later years of that color are OK. It’s worth googling it up to figure out if your Fiestaware is OK.
Actually all the colours were Radioactive as they all contaioned Uranium Oxide, however the Red ones were known to be the hottest (relative to the other colours)

While I believe Fiestaware is indeed still made, it no longer contains UO2

I have a beautiful uranium glass cake platter. Yellow in color, which is what the uranium is really good for, with milky streaks, and powerfully florescent, also thanks to the uranium. And safe enough, as long as the cakes aren't too acidic, as smstachwick said.

I certainly hope not.

https://englishatlc.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/randall-munroe-periodic-wall-of-elements.pdf
Older stuff had uranium mineral glaze. Generally it’s safe to eat off of, so long as you’re not eating anything too acidic. The bigger concern is that uranium is chemically toxic in the same sense as lead, as the radioactivity in natural uranium is low.

Sumdood who lived in another dorm where I went to college had an old plate of orange Fiestaware that he kept in a fish tank. I remember being told they had a geiger counter and would occasionally pull the plate out just to show the counter going nuts for a few seconds.

Oh, I am grossly disappointed. Randall knows better, and should never have... Well, I'm disappointed.
Randall Munroe said:
Of the 118 elements, 30 of them-like helium, carbon, aluminum, iron, and ammonia...
Oh, Randall, how could you? I suppose you likely meant nitrogen. My ability to guess what you meant, even if I'm right, is no excuse.

Are Uranium salts good on fries? Does Australia call fries 'fries' or 'chips'? Pretty sure fries, but don't want to assume. I know what the local steakhouse says, but I'm pretty sure that joke has been told once or twice. . .per second.

I'm assuming uranium salt on fries would leave a bit of a metallic taste, but having never tried it, not sure. I think the Americium salts (if they are salted) would taste slightly patriotic with a hint of self importance, followed by a bit of self-defeating rancor, but I'm not a chef.

Sandy.

main-qimg-b604faf022661f7d11e9e46ee028b0a7

At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside, and asked,
"Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?"
"Yes, coach", replied the little boy."
Do you understand what matters are whether we win or lose together as a team?"
The little boy nodded in the affirmative.
"So," the coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue, curse the umpire,
or call him a jerk. Do you understand all that?"
Again, the little boy nodded in the affirmative.
The coach continued, "And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play,
it's not a stupid decision or that the coach is a butt head is it?"
"No, coach."
"Good!", said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother!”

Back