Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my uncles worked at a large LA motorcycle dealership that catered to the most common bikes of the day '60's.
Everything from Harley Davidson to Triumph to Hodaka and Husqvarna and eventually Honda.

The shop had to keep three different tool sets available, metric, fractions and something called Wentworth which I believe was based on 1/10ths of inches.

One of my uncles worked at a large LA motorcycle dealership that catered to the most common bikes of the day '60's.
Everything from Harley Davidson to Triumph to Hodaka and Husqvarna and eventually Honda.

The shop had to keep three different tool sets available, metric, fractions and something called Wentworth which I believe was based on 1/10ths of inches.

I have a few Whitworth wrenches (Spanners?) to work on my MG.
Mostly standard bolts with a few Whitworths thrown in. And Pozi screws...

The biggest oinker with Whitworth is that the threads are based on a 55 degree angle instead of a 60 degree angle like metric and SAE. If you get the wrong one to start threading, you can have a real mess if you don't back off quickly enough.

Jim

When will the world switch to metric time? base 60/60/24/365.4 is kinda a pain to convert in my head. Base 10 time would be much easier.
Yeah, I guess it must be, if you can't even get it right when describing it. 365.4? Huh?

365.25 for most small to medium spans of years, 365.2425 for spans of several centuries.

And now I feel better about misreading ml and g.

In the USA, yes, but the Australian Style Guide (a Government publication) says ‘litres’ is acceptable, whereas ‘liters’ is not. 🤠
Ah, but here, the bible of 'good' writing is The Chicago Manual of Style. Our government, of course, doesn't follow it, but then again, no one has ever accused our government of good writing.

Spontaneous creation of life...just add water, and you'll get alligators (true in Florida, south Georgia, south Alabama, and Louisiana for sure!)

Yeah, I guess it must be, if you can't even get it right when describing it. 365.4? Huh?

365.25 for most small to medium spans of years, 365.2425 for spans of several centuries.

And there you go. One of the biggest gripes I've heard about the metric system is that, being base 10, it doesn't "halve" nicely, i.e., 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc. And here we have a planet spinning 365 1/4 revolutions per trip about the sun... well, for now, at least. Give it a couple of million years... (Funny thing, with either system you end up in decimals sooner or later, especially in manufacturing tolerances.)

I knew it was 365.25 but I sometimes have problems with numbers. I transpose them alot but in this case, my mind said "365 and a quarter" but rather than .25 I typed 4....because 1/4. I normally catch that kinda thing on my 3rd or 4th re-read of the post before hitting send but sometimes it slips through.

Back in my younger days worked for a company who charged my customers in tenths of an hour so I had to track my time to the nearest 6 minutes. That was a major pain. Today I work with a large international team and so I'm constantly converting between miles and km, C and F, etc. I wish we'd all standardize on metric but that'll never happen in the US until its forced.

Back